News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wish to Identify Older British Marksmanship Medal ?

Hello Gentleman,  I recently picked up the following 2 awards, which I believe to be either British or Commonwealth Marksmanship Medals, based upon my very cursory examination. If anyone has ever encountered either of these examples, I would deeply appreciate their input. THANK YOU,

Best regards,   dpast32

s-l1600 - 2020-09-12T133027.588.jpg

s-l1600 - 2020-09-12T133019.015.jpg

s-l1600 - 2020-09-12T133008.100.jpg

DPast

My only contribution, I'm afraid, is to observe that many of the Auxilliary Force India units were made up of very well off Britons 'domiciled in India': The Surma Valley Light Horse, for example, was made up of tea planters.  In consequence, some of them had all their insignia made in the UK, not infrequently in sterling, and were very fond of social gatherings disguised as military training: shooting competitions, 'field days' and gymnkhanas. 

Based on that, I'd guess that the medal marked 'Cawnpore 1907', if that is what it says, is an example of a privately purchased award given out by an A.F.I. unit.  The likeliest suspects would be Cawnpore Light Horse or the Cawnpore Volunteer Rifles, as host units to an event held there.  I'm afraid, however, that I don't have any more information on these units which would allow you to track down this piece. :(

Good luck with the hunt!

Peter

A possible lead.  But you would need to contact the BISI and order this back issue. 

"William Garnett, the Volunteering Major" by Michael Garnett FIBIS Journal Number 26 Autumn 2011, pages 26-30. For details of how to access this article, see FIBIS Journals

He played a major role in the establishment of the Cawnpore Light Horse and on retirement to England in 1919 held the rank of Company Sergeant Major. This article contains much information about the Cawnpore Light Horse and about Volunteer Regiments generally.

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/FIBIS_Journals#FIBIS_Journal_Number_26_.28Autumn_2011.29

THANK YOU Peter, I really appreciate your reply ! In interim since Posting this Query, I've learned a bit more regarding their recipient. He was Acting Sjt. Benjamin Vincent GLAISTER, who [ if it is indeed 'my' guy ] appears to have served quite a while in H.M.'s Army. His primary assigned unit[s] was in assorted Battalions of the Manchester Regiment, starting from 1914 / WW1 onwards through to service all over the globe. [ WW1 Service w/ 2nd Battalion, while later duty appears to have been in the 7th Battalion. ] I noted him being in France, India NW Frontier, Iraq, & Burma, possibly along with some other locales. The final Rank I observed for him was Acting Sjt., but that's in no way confirmed as his actual final Rank. I did find him listed as being awarded the G.S.M., with the Bar / Clasp 'Burma, 1931 - 1932'. One observation I've made so far is his somewhat 'unusual' [ if it is unusual ? ] was his remaining assigned to the Manchester Regiment for so long ? I'm also curious as to the 'Capt.' reference on his 'Marksmanship' Medal, as do far, I haven't noted anything listing him as being an Commissioned Officer ? Right now, my primary interest is in identifying the 'crossed rifles' Medal which in my experience almost always indicates some form of Marksmanship award ?Hopefully, someone here has come across this particular award, & can at least point me in the right direction. I'm certain that as I delve deeper into this, I'll hopefully  make more progress. As we all know, these things can take a little time to unravel everything, & seeing that I just obtained them yesterday afternoon, at least I'm starting to make some initial progress. THANKS Gents & PLEASE do let me know if you happen to have any ideas on this somewhat unusual 'Pair' ?

Best,    dpast32