News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Please help in Identification of 1887 / 1897 Metropolitan Police Medal

Hello Gents,  I just won the bid on another addition to my Met. Police collection. I 'think' I've narrowed it down to 3 candidates, although it's still speculative at this point. ( I just got it this morning. ) The relevant data is as follows; 

'METROPOLITAN POLICE MEDAL COMMEMORATING THE JUBILEE OF QUEEN VICTORIA IN 1887, w/ 1897 BAR.

PRESENTED TO:  PC.  W. WILSON of C. DIVISION  IV

If anyone would be so kind as to assist me in confirming it's recipient, I will be very much appreciative. This particular example is missing its ribbon drape, but I can't imagine obtaining a replacement will be all that difficult ? THANK YOU,

Best,   Dom P.  /  dpast32@aol.com

s-l1600 - 2020-10-01T120339.024.jpg

s-l1600 - 2020-10-01T120322.996.jpg

s-l1600 - 2020-10-01T120312.399.jpg

Good evening. 

I followed this on the auction site and carried out some research. 

The recipient is:

69188 William Wilson. 

Joined 21041884.

Retired 26041909 as a PS on Y Division.

Rejoined 13061911 for the 1911 Coronation with the temporary warrant number 2788.

He had a full entitlement to all three medals. 

Sadly, the seller appears to have sold all three medals separately, to three different buyers in the mistaken belief that they would be worth more!

They went for £77, £36 and £31.

Regards.

Danny

THANK YOU Danny, So very much, I really appreciate it !! ( I do hope you weren't one of the people I was bidding against ? ) I, as well as yourself, absolutely HATE greedy sellers who knowingly break up groups just to squeeze an extra few dollars / pounds out of them !!! Speaking of 3 pc Groups, I just purchased the following Group. I found one potential match via Ancestry UK, but he doesn't appear to have been entitled to the 1911 Coronation, due to his being Pensioner in early January of 1911 ? I hope I haven't make an mistake on this one ? Again, I can't THANK YOU enough for you information, I truly appreciate it. 

Best,    Dom P.

click for more images

METROPOLITAN POLICE 1887 JUBILEE MEDAL WITH 1897 CLASP-AND CORONATION 1902 AND 1911 MEDALS TO P.C. WATERS Y DIVISION
    Metrolpolitan Police 1887 Jubilee Medal, with 1897 clasp,named to
    PC H WATERS Y DIV:
    1902 Coronation AND 1911 Coronation Medal (Silver)
    These named to: P.C. H. WATERS.
    Medals very fine/good very fine, first two on original ribbons,last on replcement ribbon.
    For relative's medals see item no: 52239

Code: 52240

THANK YOU Danny, So very much, I really appreciate it !! ( I do hope you weren't one of the people I was bidding against ? ) I, as well as yourself, absolutely HATE greedy sellers who knowingly break up groups just to squeeze an extra few dollars / pounds out of them !!! Speaking of 3 pc Groups, I just purchased the following Group. I found one potential match via Ancestry UK, but he doesn't appear to have been entitled to the 1911 Coronation, due to his being Pensioner in early January of 1911 ? I hope I haven't make an mistake on this one ? Again, I can't THANK YOU enough for you information, I truly appreciate it. 

Best,    Dom P.

click for more images

METROPOLITAN POLICE 1887 JUBILEE MEDAL WITH 1897 CLASP-AND CORONATION 1902 AND 1911 MEDALS TO P.C. WATERS Y DIVISION
    Metrolpolitan Police 1887 Jubilee Medal, with 1897 clasp,named to
    PC H WATERS Y DIV:
    1902 Coronation AND 1911 Coronation Medal (Silver)
    These named to: P.C. H. WATERS.
    Medals very fine/good very fine, first two on original ribbons,last on replcement ribbon.
    For relative's medals see item no: 52239

Code: 52240

Good Morning All,  Danny980 was so very kind as to provide me with the above information regarding a recent purchase. As I looked further into it, wouldn't concerned that it doesn't match up 100%. My example is named to a PC, not PS, & the respective Division is also different, being 'C IV'. Can anyone please shed some light on these most troubling facts ? THANK YOU

Best,   Dom P.

PS Wilson was awarded his 1887 medal as a PC on C Division.

You appear to have a complete set:

69947 PC Henry Waters.

joined 29/12/1884 - S Division (Hampstead)

1887 - Y Division (Highgate)

1897 - Y Division 

1902 - Y Division 

Left on pension 02/01/1911.

1911 - Rejoined with a temporary Warrant Number 3699 for the 1911 Coronation.

THANK YOU so very much Danny980, I feel appreciate not very kind assistance !!! I had initially been hesitant to purchase this Group, due primarily to a combination of an incorrect reference to his 1902 issue, along with my not be able to locate information about his being reinstated for the 1911 Coronation event. THANKS to your assistance, I was also to dispel my final issue, & went ahead to purchase the Group. Now, all I need is a copy of Kemp's book, which I do foolishly neglected to purchase when I had the chance !! Sooner or later I'll hopefully. find a copy for sale at a 'fair' price, but until I'll just continue to cover !! THANKS AGAIN

Dom P. / dpast32@aol.com

On 02/10/2020 at 16:07, dpast32 said:

THANK YOU so very much Danny980, I feel deeply appreciative for your very kind assistance !!! I had initially been hesitant to purchase this Group, due primarily to a combination of an incorrect reference to his 1902 issue, along with my not be able to locate information about his being reinstated for the 1911 Coronation event. THANKS to your assistance, I was also to dispel my final issue, & went ahead to purchase the Group. Now, all I need is a copy of Kemp's book, which I do foolishly neglected to purchase when I had the chance !! Sooner or later I'll hopefully. find a copy for sale at a 'fair' price, but until I'll just continue to cover !! THANKS AGAIN

Dom P. / dpast32@aol.com

I can tell you the book is still available from the author.  The real issue is the cost of overseas postage which has recently been increased again (no doubt a further knock-on effect from Covid 19).  For the USA for an 1.8Kg package it is now £29.71 or £31.21 if you want tracking.  That's around 50% more than the actual book cost.

SORRY Odin Mk 3, I just happened across your reply this minute. I had been advised on an an other Forum regarding my obtaining a copy of Jim Kemp's book, & I attempted to contact him in reference to purchasing a copy. That was  now a few days ago, & I still haven't received a reply ? So, after my being advised as to the extremely limited number of copies printed I felt I had better jump on the one copy I found available. ( You don't even want to know what I paid for it !! ) I have always held high regards for Met. Police Medals, but my many other collecting pursuits tended to keep me otherwise engaged. Well, now it's time for Met. venture !! I have enough odds & ends to sell off to find my Met. collecting, so I'm looking forward to it for the time being. So far, I've only picked up 2, an 1887, w/ 1897 Clasp to No. 69188,  PS William WILSON, & a nice 3 pc Group to No. 69947, PC Henry WATERS. Off course my ultimate goal remains in obtaining an Group attributed to someone who served in 'H Division' throughout 1888 - 1889, the 'Ripper years'. ( And, I'm certain that I'm not alone in this quest ! ) Once my copy of Kemp's pub. arrives, hopefully I should have a better knowledge base in reference to my pending purchases. I THANK Both you Odin Mk 3, & Danny980 for all of your very kind assistance here, I really do appreciate it. 

Best,   Dom P. /  dpast32@aol.com