News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help in identifying a high-ranking British officer standing in a photo with Tito

Dear colleagues,

I have acquired at an auction this nice autographed photography of Marshal Tito of Yugoslavia with a British officer. Tito is wearing his Soviet Order of Suvorov, which was awarded to him in October '44, and the same uniform that he wore in Naples, in August '44, in a famous meeting with Churchill. 

In my opinion the photo was taken during the late war up to 1946 the latest.

I would need some help in identifying the British officer standing next to him. I thought to see some resemblance with Field Marshall Montgomery, but I am not very convinced, both because my understanding is that Montgomery was not that tall and because I didn't find any evidence that the two met in this period. Any information on the person or perhaps even on the occasion on which this photograph was taken would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Tito_watermark.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by Drugo

Dear Johan,

you were absolutely amazing! Thank you very much! Indeed, it is him, and it helped me find the concrete occasion at which this photograph was taken: 

YUGOSLAVIA - MAY 14: Tito (2Nd From Right) Posing Following His Nomination As Head Of The Yugoslav Government On March 15, 1945.

https://www.gettyimages.fr/detail/photo-d'actualité/tito-posing-following-his-nomination-as-head-of-the-photo-dactualité/104421086

https://www.gettyimages.fr/detail/photo-d'actualité/field-marshal-harold-alexander-confers-over-a-large-photo-dactualité/515461342