News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Good evening Gentlemen,

I have a Wolseley made in 1942 by Failsworth Hats Ltd.

It sports a white and red hackle tucked into its seven-folded puggaree. 

Any idea regarding this hackle?

Shouldn't it sports a regimental flash as well? 

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Jean-Sam.

GB Wolseley 1942 Hackle.jpg

GB Wolseley 1942 Inside.jpg

When I saw the title, I wasn't sure whether you meant a topi or old Sir Garnet Wolsey himself. ;)

If memory serves, a red over white hackle is usually Fusileers.  Sadly that doesn't narrow it down too much.  As to a flash, these seem to come and go, depending on things like the date the helmet was worn, where the unit was staioned - very popular in India, for example - and, I suspect, on the individual Colonel in command of a battalion.  They are a lovley touch but require extra cost and, unlike the hackle, are a bit tough to remove in a hurry if they make one too conapicious.

Can you tell whether the foil insert is original - trimmed edges, for example - or an improvisation by the topi's owner?

Lovely item, by the way.  Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Peter for your comment.

Regarding the insert, I gather it is original since it is backed by a sort of canvas perfectly adapted to the helmet.

Anyway, I bought it as shown here, in 1985, at Portobello Road, for ... GB£ 15.-- ... Good old days ....