News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello all,

Recently, I have come across a badge of the 'Natal Scottish'. Apparently this was some sort of infantry regiment of the South African Union Defence Force during the second world war, more specifically 1940-1945(?). 

I'm looking for some more information about this specific unit, although I have my doubts that there's any available information about it. If someone does have information about it and decides to share it, I would be thankful!

You're correct that ther is not a lot of information out there.  However,  in WWI there was a 'SA Scottish Battalion'  made up of men from several 'Scottish' units - Transvaal Scots and Cape Town Highlanders. 

I imagine - only a guess - that the Natal Scottish were militia/territorials who perhaps supplied drafts of men to one of the war time battalions but didn't exist as an actual active unit per se.  There were three battalions of the Transvaal Scottish mobilized and in action with the 1st and 2nd SA Divisions, so perhaps part of one battlion clung to the 'Natal Scottish' distinction?  As I say, guessing here. :(

Peter

Greetings Peter,

I don't think that the 3rd Transvaal Scottish would have had that name. However, I did come across a Wikipedia article of the South African order of battle 1939-1940. I so happened to stumble across "3rd Battalion (The Natal Scottish", which was subordinate to the 1st Reserve Brigade, and raised on the 29th of February 1940 at Durban. 

Even then, I wasn't able to find any information about it after googling.