News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Geo. V Special Constabulary Medal & Possible Match To My WW1 Police Group ?

Good Morning Gents, I have a brief Question pertaining to an potential addition to my Collection, but there's a question or two I wish to clarify prior to deciding. THE MEDAL IN QUESTION IS; 'CUMBERLAND & WESTMORELAND CONSTABULARY', GEO. V / WW1 ISSUE, officially named to: William Wilson. Now, this example either may, or may not be related to 'my' William John WILSON,  1859 - 1917, the subject of this particular Post. He was a London  Metropolitan Police Sergeant who Retired in April 1909, but was temporarily reinstated for the 1911 Geo. V Coronation, & I'm 'assuming' that he just may have volunteered for service during the Great War, as he was only   in 1914. NOW, MY QUESTION IS;  Based upon his address at Retirement, which was;  Horn church, Essex, England.  Would it have been at all feasible, & or probable that these two individuals were perhaps the same men ? I have initiated a brief search to begin with, but from what I'm finding, both Counties in question appear to be quite a way from London, his reported home of residence at Retirement ? It would indeed be quite a find if this Special Constabulary Medal was actually 'my' William Wilson's, but I fear that may not be the case vin this particular situation ? As ALWAYS, any & all replies, comments, & or input will be deeply appreciated !! THANK YOU

Best regards,    dpast32

Hi dpast32,

Very unlikely, as CUMBERLAND & WESTMORELAND CONSTABULARY is in the Northwest of England.

1.thumb.jpg.5e46f3eb543e54c643de2dcd9d86ca6c.jpg

While Hornchurch  = Hornchurch is a suburban town in East London, England, and part of the London Borough of Havering. It is located 15.2 miles east-northeast of Charing Cross. There police force is Metropolitan Police.

So you can see, miles apart and therefor most likely 2 different persons.

The name William Wilson is a very common name.

Marcon1.

I THANK YOU very much for your kind reply. I too agree that it's highly unlikely that it's 'my' William Wilson. You do have to admit though, it was an plausible assumption, based upon all the contributing factors. Too bad, as it would have made a very nice addition to Wilson's 'Met.' Group.  Take care my Friend,

Best regards,   dpast32