News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Argentina Falklands War Medals - Awarded by the Argentine Nation and Argentine Army

Thought I would share pics from my collection which include Falklands War period medals awarded by the Argentine nation and the Argentine Army. The medals include:

Medal Of Valor (Medalla La Nacion Argentina al Valor en Combate)

Wounded in Combat Medal (Medalla La Nacion Argentina al Herido en Combate)

Army Military Merit Medal (Medalla al Merito Militar del Ejercito)

Army Killed in Combat Medal (Medalla al Muerto en Combate del Ejercito)

Army Wounded in Combat Medal (Medalla al Herido en Combate del Ejercito)

Army Military Honor Medal (Medalla al Honor Militar del Ejercito)

Army Campaign Medal (Medalla de Campana del Ejercito)

Army Valor and Discipline Medal (Medalla al Valor y Disciplina del Ejercito)

John

Argentina-Medals-Front.jpg

Argentina-Medals-Reverse.jpg

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. It’s rare to see items from the other side of that conflict. Although it’s kind of disappointing, and a little surprising, that nearly all the ribbons of these medals are identical. It must make for a boring, and confusing, ribbon bar. Are devices worn on ribbon bars to distinguish one from another?

3 hours ago, ChrisW said:

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. It’s rare to see items from the other side of that conflict. Although it’s kind of disappointing, and a little surprising, that nearly all the ribbons of these medals are identical. It must make for a boring, and confusing, ribbon bar. Are devices worn on ribbon bars to distinguish one from another?

I agree...it's too bad most of the ribbons are all the same style. I have seen some Argentine medals and ribbon bars with a small gold device depicting the Argentine shield. The killed in combat medals and ribbon bars typically have a black stripe attached as well.

There are a couple of Argentine Navy medals that have different colors. I will try to post them as well so folks can see what they look like. 

Probably the best reference for Argentine military medals is a book titled "Premios Militares" by Jose Felix Martinez Lamela. The book was written in 1995 and contains several color plates with examples of different medals. Unfortunately, it is written in Spanish and can be difficult to find. One of my fellow collector friends located in Argentina managed to find a copy for me.

John

Argentina-Medals-Book-1.jpg

Argentina-Medals-Book-2.jpg

3 hours ago, Simius Rex said:

I'm afraid you may have overlooked posting the most significant Argentine decoration from the Falklands War:  the silver and bronze grades of La Medalla de la Getting Our Asses Kicked By The Brits.  I'm told it's not enormously popular with Argentine soldiers.

That's a bit unnecessary isn't it?

They did well for a conscript army and inflicted heavy losses in life and material.

If we won it had a lot to do with lady luck too.