News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Long service medal / cross for officiers and NCO in the british army

Gentlemen,

I am looking for information of long service crosses or medals for officiers and nco serving in the british army. In Germany they have been introduced starting in the 19.th century. So I wonder does something similar exists in the british army, when were they instituted, how do they look like ... and so on.

I have started a first quick search in this forum, but haven't found what I was looking for. Maybe I put the wrong words in the search field above. So if there are postings regarding this topic in this forum, I would really be thankful, if you could post them here.

Thank you

Hi there

Here's a link to the 1st version of the long service medal from 1830

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Long_Service_and_Good_Conduct_Medal

And the newer version from 1930

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal_for_Long_Service_and_Good_Conduct_(Military)

Edited by paddywhack

6 hours ago, paddywhack said:

Whilst long service medals have been awarded to non-commissioned ranks in the regular army since 1830, it was only recently that they were extended to officers. However, long service decorations were awarded to their non-regular counterparts in the volunteer and auxiliary formations (both home & abroad) from the late 19th century. 

Thank you Gentlemen, this is excatly the information I was looking for! One last question regarding this topic, do I get @Tony Farrell right, that officers didn't have such an award scince recently? When was an award for long time services for officers in the army instituted?

Again Thank you for your help, it was highly appreciated by me.

Edited by BlackcowboyBS

Regarding the recognition of long service (good conduct was always a given for officers, hence why no award) for commissioned ranks in the REGULAR (ie. full time) branches of the armed forces, this did not occur until 2016, when the respective service medals were extended - along with minor amendments to the requirement criteria. 

Officers in the Volunteer Force of the United Kingdom were granted decorations for 20 years' service in 1892 - with the Volunteer Decoration being extended to the Colonial Auxiliary Forces of India and elsewhere two years later. 

The regular forces medals are quite straightforward. The numerous issues to the volunteer, auxiliary, militia and reserve formations less so. It's a complex subject... and that's before we even include the naval side of things.