News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgian Congo medal for native troops?

6 hours ago, Hendrik said:

Hi,

It is. Bronze medal of the King Leopold III era. Comes with either a blue ribbon (military) or predominantly yellow ribbon (civil).

BB041-ServNatBL3Brack-1.JPG.ec80ba65ca304babf167a5131021819a.JPGBB043-ServNatBglass-1.JPG.ab9cf6aaafaae07232112a7bc344d02c.JPG

Regards,

Hendrik

thanks!  The medal has an old silver wash over the bronze.  Privately done??

Hi Mark,

The medals from the Leopold III era and the later Baudouin I period existed in 2 classes, bronze and silver. The latter were actually manufactured in silvered bronze, not in sterling silver. Looks like you ended up with one that had a rough life ?

BM019-NatLeo3mil-1.JPG.1f4b672596a61166f08d1ada2e033a07.JPG

Regards,

Hendrik

Yes, it’s definitely been there!  A little Ballistol easily cleared the grime away to reveal what’s left of the silvering (which I’d estimate at around 65%).  Now I just need to hunt up a ribbon...