News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interpreter A. Patterson Tel-el-Kebir

Hello,

i recently acquired an Egypt 1882 with Tel-El-Kebir clasp officially named to interpreter A Patterson. As there were only 42 issued with the clasp and 138 issued without the clasp to interpreters, it would seem fairly scarce. I know there is a nominal roll of civilians who were awarded the medal for their services, but it’s not available online. If anyone has a copy and could verify Patterson’s medal and clasp, I would be most appreciative. I’m pleased to have acquired this medal out of interest, but also as it used to be in Major John Tamplin’s OBE TD civilian collection, which sold through DNW a few years back, and he was a friend of mine from OMRS and OMSA.  Many thanks in advance. 

• 2 weeks later...

Upon receiving the medal, I see that it is different from what was listed on the dealer's site and is named to Interpreter A. Petterson.  If anyone has any information on him, I would be most grateful if you'd contact me.

Thanks in advance.

The roll is on Ancestry, or National Archives. It confirms entitlement to Tel-el-Kebir. The Interpreters' roll runs to six pages.  An X indicates that he was also awarded to the Egyptian Khedive's Star.

Michael

Edited by Michael Johnson

5 hours ago, Michael Johnson said:

The roll is on Ancestry, or National Archives. It confirms entitlement to Tel-el-Kebir. The Interpreters' roll runs to six pages.  An X indicates that he was also awarded to the Egyptian Khedive's Star.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thank you for verifying that he’s on the roll. Oddly, my choice on genealogy doesn’t have medal rolls. ? so I can’t get a photo of it. I sincerely appreciate your reply!  All the very best, John