News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pembroke 1, 1915 - 1917, Any potential Sea Duties for 1/c Petty Officers ?

Hello Folks,  As I attempt to nail down 'my' Guys final tour of duty, I've determined that upon being re-activated from Retirement, he was initially assigned to HMS Columbine, then from December 1914, through to his Demobilization due to age on 27 July 1917, he appears to have been assigned to HMS Pembroke 1, with the Rank of P.O. 1st Class. I have learned that 'some' Sailors of P.O. Rank were seconded to certain 'Auxiliary Vessels', primarily performing close, off shore patrol duty, along with similar, related functions ? Is there any way in which I might confirm such duty, other than via his Service Record ? ( Unfortunately, his Record only notes HMS Pembroke for that particular time frame. In addition, the hand written script on his Record is quite difficult to dechiper. )  If anyone happens to have any pertinent information related to this subject, I would deeply appreciate hearing from them. THANK YOU !!

Best regards,  Dom Pastore Jr.

RE:  P.O. 2nd ROBERT J. STEELE, NO. 95097

1 ) Discharged from the Fleet Reserve on 3rd October 1910 due to Age as he turned 50 years old.

2 ) However he was brought back into service on 02 August 1914 at HMS Columbine as a Petty Officer 2nd Class, becoming Petty Officer 1st Class (Original System) on 18 October 1916.

3 ) During the War, he served initially at HMS Columbine through to 09 December 1914, then at Pembroke I from 10 December 1914 until 19 July 1917, before being finally Demobilised, due to age on 27 July 1917.

©>>> END of DATA