News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Denmark Christian IX - 50 year marriage celebration medal. 26 May 1892 (amazing ribbon)

It is a commemoration of the 50 year marriage of Denmark's Christian IX to his double cousin, princess Louise of Hesse-Kassel. 

I have never found anything about the actual medal, but the ribbon is incredible despite its age, but also for the workmanship. Simply gorgeous. 

IMG_7806.jpg

IMG_7807.jpg

When King Christian IX was crowned after the death of the heirless King Frederik VII, he was not very popular (being German etc.), but it changed over the years of his long reign (1863-1906). Due to his family relations, he became known as  'the father-in-law of Europe'.

At the time of his (and his wife's) golden anniversary in 1892, the royal couple was quite popular, and many, many unofficial tokens and medals were created to celebrate the event. This being one of them.

I agree, it is quite a nice medal and ribbon.

I have no specific information about this one. Most of these unofficial decorations were made as a 'private enterprise', meaning someone saw a market and manufactured them to sell to the public.

I have seen quite a few, in various qualities. Many had a suspension ring (the cheaper variety where the suspension was part of the strike), but I have only rarely seen them attached to an actual ribbon.

Thanks again. The ribbon is definitely the unique and rare item, and the picture doesn't give it justice as it still has a very nice shine and reflective quality to it... I'm not sure what it's called but the silk still has that dazzle in the light. It's of thicker material and the quality is quite nice. It's fraying as seen at the top but it's not as delicate as it appears in the image.