News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Entitlement to Commemorative Medal Second World War

Michael Johnson

I'm trying to understand whether or not my great-uncle Marcel Verzieux was entitled to the above medal to go with his Legion d'Honneur, Croix de Guerre, and First War medals. His service record confirms Legion d'Honneur, Croix de Guerre, Commemorative Medal 1914-18, and Victory.  Given the privileges that came with the Combatant's Card, I would assume he would have applied, and so have the Croix du Combatant.  As he was wounded, he would have been entitled to the red star to be worn on the Commemorative Medal.

He had retired in 1935, but was recalled to the Reserve in 1938, if I recall correctly.  He reported to the 4e RG on September 1st, 1939, but was released on medical grounds September 9th.

Would he have qualified for the Second War medal with either FRANCE or 1939 clasp?

Michael

Marcel  war services.JPG

Photo 005[1].jpg

Edited by Michael Johnson

Thanks, Hendrik.  That was my view as  well.

Given that he LdH was the only medal Marcel seems to have kept, I suspect he wasn't much into medals.  He was a bit of an eccentric, spending his retirement reading English detective novels, and I believe doing crossword puzzles.  I suspect that his experiences at Verdun left a permanent mark.  That is one reason I have chosen to add the wound star rather than the ribbon or the medal.

barrette.JPG

Edited by Michael Johnson