News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Early BGS or Polizei Steelhelmet?

Hello Gents..I had in 1956 a Steelhelmet what was maybe an early 1951 Model   German Police or Boarderguard  BGS Helmet

looked unused..never seen again! with a Textile  strap Liner  (US Style ? ) adjustable at the Back inside  & Bails  for the Chinstrap on the Shell welded 

Vents & old Style Rivets Color light green "rough Paint." since I have it no more (was sadly stolen)   maybe "rare" today? they were soon replaced by a Vent- & rivetless Shell..better Leather liner  similar to WW2  in ~ 1953? I showed this Helmet 1962 to a former BGS Soldier who served then with me in the BW (He had not seen this Model before (what could be possible  since this Type would be soon replaced... maybe the German Barack Police (Bereitschafts Polizei) had them as well? I try

to indentife here  with help of some "similar looking Pictures" any Help very apprexiated! Best Regards Jurgen

wh-stahlhelm-repro_helm+bgs.jpg

k-20210404_151304.jpg

20210603_150711.jpg

k-20210603_114256.jpg

Edited by Jurgen Fritz
    addition Text

Jurgen,

I've never seen this type of liner in any BGS or Polizei helmet.  Actually, I've never seen it in any German helmet.   Too bad you don't still have the one stolen from you.  Sorry I can not be of more help.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon Thanks for Your Interest!

I found in the "Warrelics forum" it was the First BGS Model 1951!

some former Wehrmacht helmets were also refurbished before

a new Model with "Central fastening (a Screw welded in the Top

of the Shell was welded to hold the Liner (as most knew) The 

"Textile Straps" were  likely modelled on the USA  Helmet Liner. 

maybe its "rare" now since not long time issued?  any more

INFO very appreciated! Maybe another Friend still has this Type

of Helmet? Best Regars Jurgen

Jurgen,

I've heard from my friend and he has confirmed that the helmet that you posted is an early BGS helmet.  Here is what he had to say.

Regards,

Gordon

Hello Gordon,

yes i know these helmets. It is indeed the first BGS liner model from 1951. These were all refurbished WW2 shells (all makers and variants can be encountered M35, M40 and M42). Repainted and added welded chinstrap bale like on early US M1. Only used for short time in early 50s. After 1953 most were modified for the new 1953 liners (Innenausstattung 53) - liner rivet holes were welded closed and liner mount installed in dome. So surviving examples, that avoided these updates are a bit rare. 

Attached is photos of mine. Shell is a Quist M42 (a rare shell even for WW2). Also a few period photos of the reissued WW2 shells in use 1954 and earlier.