News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

inofficial military Long Service awards on medal bars

Hello,

I am interested in the question, when the unofficial Landwehr 2nd or military service awards lower classes appeared on German medal bars. They did not comply with the regulations and in my opinion should not have been worn on a large medal bar, neither with the uniform nor on other official occasions. Nevertheless, they can be seen from time to time on medal bars. After the foundation of the medal on July 4, 1913, this form became obsolete and one could wear the new medal now officially on the medal bars right beside other orders and medals

I would be interested now, if someone of you knows, when these privately procured service award pieces of the Landwehr  2nd and military service lower classes appeared and whether one tolerated this arbitrariness of the way of wearing simply or do they appeared rather at the periphery and were not carried in the center of imperial royal power  so to speak Berlin and thus remained rather under the radar of offiical authorities and therefor, there were no decrees against this way of carrying them.

Here are two examples, so you can see what I mean. I look forward to a lively discussion. I personally believe that such inofficial decorations appeared around 1890 and spread as a fashionable phenomenon in the empire, but this is my personal gut feeling and so far not proven by any documents at all.

So can anyone just let know his thoughts on this topic? This would be highly appreciated by me. 

Thanks in advance. 

DA 2 2.png

DA 2.png