News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A-H Medal Bar And Wound Medal (5 Wounds)

gjw

Hey all, got a nice Medal Bar and 5 Wound, Wound Medal today.  Been looking for the Wound Medal for awhile.  I now have all 6 Wound Medals, so I'm one happy fellow!

Best,

Greg

IMG_0294_1_-removebg-preview (1).png

IMG_0295_1_-removebg-preview.png

2 hours ago, Simius Rex said:

Please post a photo of the back of the row of medals that appear to be connected in some manner.

The single wound-medal is nicely aged and shows traces of honest wear, whereas the ribbon from which it hangs looks fresh and unused.  Serious collectors of these medals try to match the level of aging and patina of the ribbon to those of the medal. 

Hello, the backing for the Medal Bar was an older piece of cord, that was pretty well shot.  It basically fell apart.  To be honest, I restrung the medals on a pipe cleaner to keep them together.

I know what you mean about the Wound Medal ribbon.  I used the great info you posted on  my question about ribbon originality, and it appears to me that the ribbon  is not modern.  I do think as you suggest that the medal has been added to an unused ribbon.

Thanks so much as always for your input!

Greg

Edited by gjw

• 1 year later...

Hi Greg,

just came across this topic and the comment below…

Serious collectors of these medals try to match the level of aging and patina of the ribbon to those of the medal. 

I don’t have the knowledge that Simius has but in his haste to be snide he may have forgotten the difference when considering the ribbons on these wound medals… they were meant to be replaced.

Though Verwundetenmedaille were only around from 1917, this medal and any other could still have been worn for some time. A well worn wound medal on a newer looking ‘multiple wound’ ribbon is not unusual, acceptable because a ribbon change was required when the unlucky owner got wounded again.

If the ribbon is period then I see no problem. 👍

cheers

tony 🍻

In my opinion you should note that these medals were worn by their owners over years after WW1, in the interwar period and after WW2. Sometimes the ribons had to be renewed when the became bleached or dirty. Propper owners changed the ribbons until the 1980ties or 1990ties. Replacement or tailor medals were offered anyway.

The quality of the 1917 - 1919 ribbons was quite poor, so many owners changed them as soon as possible.

Therefore is a lot of old original medals in circulation which have a later mounted ribbon. In my opinon they are all legit.

Regards

Christian

5 hours ago, Christian1962 said:

In my opinion you should note that these medals were worn by their owners over years after WW1, in the interwar period and after WW2. Sometimes the ribons had to be renewed when the became bleached or dirty. Propper owners changed the ribbons until the 1980ties or 1990ties. Replacement or tailor medals were offered anyway.

The quality of the 1917 - 1919 ribbons was quite poor, so many owners changed them as soon as possible.

Therefore is a lot of old original medals in circulation which have a later mounted ribbon. In my opinon they are all legit.

Regards

Christian

Totally agree.

I even have a ‘beginners guide’ to British medal collecting from the 70’s or 80’s and it advises replacing ribbons whenever possible.  🙈

tony 🍻

Sometimes, when original ribbons are in really bad condition it is useful to preserve them on an extra place and replace them by new ones.

One of my collector friends had another access. He was a former officer in the german Luftwaffe. He always said that during his active service medals and ribbons had to be in best, clean and perfect condition. Therefore he cleaned and polished his medals from time to time and changed the ribbons. Other collectors wouldn't do that at all.

Anyway it's a matter of taste.

Kindest regards

Christian