News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal For Gallantry & Humane services to the crew...shipwreck of the schooner "British Queen" 1858

A medal given by the British government to one the members of the rescue team lead by Patrão Joaquim Lopes"

By the rescue of the captain and his dog (mascot of the schooner) on the coast of Lisbon of the Schooner "British Queen" on 24 February 1858

The ship was lost and so the lives of 6 members of the crew. 

Any of the British members of this forum could help on finding more information ( I don't know but possibily on British government Foreign affairs office files ??),  about the decree of this medal ? ( what journal could it be publicize?), or could there be a public list or roll of people who received it including António da Conceição?

Best regards

IMG_20220318_094506.jpg

IMG_20220318_094520.jpg

IMG_20220318_094534.jpg

Edited by peron

• peron changed the title to Medal For Gallantry & Humane services to the crew...shipwreck of the schooner "British Queen" 1858

Hello,

a fine medal, the one you're showing!

Another one for the same fact, awarded and named to a Portuguese subject, was auctioned online, some time time ago: Great Britain - Sea Gallantry Medal (Foreign Services) 1858 - Catawiki

To go deeper in your research, I think you could contact the Life Saving Awards Research Society (LSARS); the webpage is: Life Saving Awards Research Society (LSARS). Research into humanitarian awards .

Nearly a decade ago, the researches and back numbers of their precious Journal, have been invaluable to me while compiling an auction catalogue's section, devoted to the Lifesaving Medals.

All the best,

Enzo (E.L.)

Edited by Elmar Lang