News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Scottish Badge Collection

I've been working on adding to my Scottish Badge collection and it's grown some since my original six that picked up some 20 years ago. When done I will have tartan behind each badge, but of course love those that came with original tartan backing.

DSCF5004.JPG

DSCF5005.JPG

DSCF5006.JPG

DSCF5007.JPG

DSCF5008 (2).JPG

DSCF5009.JPG

DSCF5010.JPG

DSCF5012.JPG

Thnaks Hugh, It's getting there. Have several in transit and hope to have them soon. Also, still need to pick up some tartan backing for those that still need it.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Tony, I know him and have done business before and am planning to start picking some up from him as funds allow. I've found him ot ne a very good seller and a most helpful person. I also have a tartan contact in Canada at a slightly higher price so between the two I feel I can get most of the ones I need

Terry

On 02/06/2022 at 04:41, Terry37 said:

I've been working on adding to my Scottish Badge collection and it's grown some since my original six that picked up some 20 years ago. When done I will have tartan behind each badge, but of course love those that came with original tartan backing.

DSCF5004.JPG

DSCF5005.JPG

DSCF5006.JPG

DSCF5007.JPG

DSCF5008 (2).JPG

DSCF5009.JPG

DSCF5010.JPG

DSCF5012.JPG

A really nice grouping!

Not exactly military but a really important part of the "support services" in WW1, I have a badge for the SWH or Scottish Womens' Hospital that has its original tartan bow still attached. With it came a medal for the same unit with the same tartan ribbon.

Also, somewhere in the archives is a Silver War Badge with a backing of tartan ribbon. I'd have to refresh my memory and see if the owner was with a Scottish regiment or if this was just a way of "flossying" it up...

Millsbomb, I am very familiar with that badge and hope to get one someday.  Since I primarily collect medical units, nursing and VAD it is a must have. Would love to see a picture of it.

Terry

• 2 months later...

I've picked up a few more tartan backings and am looking for some to arrive from Canada any day now. Nova Scotia Highlanders, Perth Highlanders (both Canadian, and 4th Infantry Regt. SA. 

Terry

DSCF5181.JPG

DSCF5183.JPG

DSCF5185.JPG

• 3 months later...

I have added a three new badges to the collection - Toronto Scottish SA Transvaal Highlanders and the Scottish Transport  Regt. RLC/154 RLC Reserve.

Several more coming, plus some tartan to go with them, but probably not until after first of the year as I don't like taking chances in December with the increased Christmas mail.

Terry

DSCF5405.JPG

DSCF5385.JPG

DSCF5402.JPG

• 3 months later...

Hi Terry,

I was wondering what you think of this one I picked up the other day…

87B39462-B0B8-472F-A93A-9A413BC13903.thumb.jpeg.378d3bb574c6f61ccd833ed1feec019a.jpeg

5FFFA57A-49C6-49B1-A099-B1A1925E96D2.thumb.jpeg.6c020ddde5c657f77204b4728734a251.jpeg

It was described as a Black Watch glengarry badge.  I’m guessing King George VI era.

Although it looks very fresh to me it otherwise seems good.

Do you have any thoughts?

Cheers 

tony

• 3 months later...

Tony,

To be sure I would need to compare it to some others of the period. It does look pretty new and shiny and hte lugs also seem very new, but they do not appear to be footed which is a good sign. Many fakes have very obvious footed lugs for badges of a time period that they should not be footed. If I can find anything finite, I'll advise.

Terry

Edited by Terry37
    Want it to be a separate post from the reply to Tony.

• 7 months later...

I am finally closing in on finishing my display. Been working on it for 18 months now and have all of eh badges and proper tartan backings... but one questions remains in debate! The unanswered issue is did he Royal Scots Fusiliers wear both a rectangular and a square piece of Black Watch tartan behind their badge on he TOS, or just a square??? If both shapes then I just need to mount them and cover the cardboard backing with the red felt I got for it. If just the square, then i need to move he RHF badge and add another badge to the display.

I would really rather have it sorted our before I put the red flannel on a cut the necessary holes in it. The attached picture is an old one and I have since obtained both the badges and the tartan necessary.

Once done, I will start on my Canadian and SA badges. Have a couple lined up for the former, but being retired and a now smaller hobby fund, they have to take their turn, and just hope they are still available.

DSCF6294.JPG

DSCF6310.JPG

I think it is a definite yes Terry. 😊

From 1948 they switched to the square tartan. So these are black backings as this picture is from ww2.

No doubt intentional rectangle shaped.

1EB7C719-8A97-4DEE-9C47-5E522286C260.thumb.jpeg.ae2b876939911264be1c2ad5a51c9e5f.jpeg

And your display already looks awesome…  

tony 🍻

• 2 months later...

Thanks Tony! Sorry I am just now seeing this. I have since finished the project and am now working my Canadian and Sout African Scottish displays. Two years of research, seeking badges and tartan and finally got it done.

DSCF6462.JPG

DSCF6463.JPG

DSCF6465.JPG

Terry,

that looks fantastic mate.

A fine effort!

Can you explain to me the arrangement?

I get that certain tartan ‘goes’ with certain badges but particularly I’m curious how RAMC badges connect with the particular tartan… I know there isn’t a SRAMC 😊

78BFF9AB-5E54-4485-88DA-5C30BCE9BBC9.thumb.jpeg.bf208b3a3d5ab2e38ff4199c769e5862.jpeg

tony 🍻