News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1st Empire Legion of Honour- small collection

Graf

Her is a small collection from 1st Empire

- 2nd Type Full size with fixed crown model

-2nd Type 1/2 Size with mobile crown

-3rd Type full size   Note it is framed as part of a navy officer grouping from 1st Empire and Monarchy Period

-4th Type1/2 Size  with typical for this type balls at the and of the arms

I am still chasing the First Type

003.JPG

004.JPG

018.JPG

012.JPG

011.JPG

008.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
    • 8 months later...

latest addition

1/2 size an Officer  in gold -4th  type

There are two partial, difficult to read, marks on the ribbon ring

001.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

Edited by Graf

• 5 months later...

Hello,

What say the experts as to the authenticity of this piece. The centers and crown look like 1st Empire but I haven't seen a period piece with a ribbon bow at the base like this one. I am told there is a diamond maker's mark on the back of that bow. Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

If Bison is out there, I have sent him a similar inquiry. Thank you!

Jay

LOH-1.jpg

LOH-2.jpg

1 hour ago, Jaybo said:

Hello,

What say the experts as to the authenticity of this piece. The centers and crown look like 1st Empire but I haven't seen a period piece with a ribbon bow at the base like this one. I am told there is a diamond maker's mark on the back of that bow. Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

If Bison is out there, I have sent him a similar inquiry. Thank you!

Jay

LOH-1.jpg

LOH-2.jpg

For me it is Presidency period As General  rule all First Empire LOH do not have "ribbon bow" on the bottom of the cross.

Also the Crown is typical  Presidency Period 1848-1852 Also the central medallions of all First Empire LOH (except the miniatures ans some 1/2 size Orders) are three parts design

010.JPG

Picture 604.jpg

Commander Presidency Period The central medallions are similar as the one you listed

L20374.jpg

L20374-D1.jpg

Edited by Graf

1 hour ago, Jaybo said:

Thank you so much. I thought that could be the case.

Welcome I hope it helped  The  diamond shape maker marks might have the initials of the maker If you have the cross you can look with magnification if the seller has it you can ask him to look for letters within the mark In my experience the First Empire LOH are rare maker marked Mainly the hallmark is present on the ribbon ring as the one I listed above

All knight crosses from this period are Silver and anything from Officer and up are -18 Carat Gold

While on the topic - there are LOH, which some classify as "100" days model They are hybrids between the 1st Empire and Monarchy Periods crosses  The 1/2 size LOH on the middle of the pictures bellow. Some of those crosses have 1st Empire central medallions. In my opinion it was very turbulent period and parts were quickly replaced and reversed depending of  who was the Ruler for the moment

Any way I do not believe that your LOH is from this Period

I hope more members will reply with their knowledge and opinion

Regards

006.JPG

007.JPG

11 hours ago, Graf said:

Welcome I hope it helped  The  diamond shape maker marks might have the initials of the maker If you have the cross you can look with magnification if the seller has it you can ask him to look for letters within the mark In my experience the First Empire LOH are rare maker marked Mainly the hallmark is present on the ribbon ring as the one I listed above

All knight crosses from this period are Silver and anything from Officer and up are -18 Carat Gold

While on the topic - there are LOH, which some classify as "100" days model They are hybrids between the 1st Empire and Monarchy Periods crosses  The 1/2 size LOH on the middle of the pictures bellow. Some of those crosses have 1st Empire central medallions. In my opinion it was very turbulent period and parts were quickly replaced and reversed depending of  who was the Ruler for the moment

Regards

006.JPG

007.JPG

11 hours ago, Graf said:

Regards

006.JPG

007.JPG

Thank you so much. Am I correct that all 1st Empire LOHs had ribbon bows at the bottom of the cross whose ends splayed out and did not go straight down like the example that I posted?

8 hours ago, Jaybo said:

Thank you so much. Am I correct that all 1st Empire LOHs had ribbon bows at the bottom of the cross whose ends splayed out and did not go straight down like the example that I posted?

Correct

Also the crowns are important Because the Presidency period Crown could be confused with 4th Type LOH from the First Empire period as the cross you listed The central medallion could be deceiving since many crosses had their medallions replaced at some stage due to the new Ruler or due to lost of the original ones

14 hours ago, Graf said:

Correct

Also the crowns are important Because the Presidency period Crown could be confused with 4th Type LOH from the First Empire period as the cross you listed The central medallion could be deceiving since many crosses had their medallions replaced at some stage due to the new Ruler or due to lost of the original ones

Thank you Graf.