News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Ordre des Palmes Académiques awarded to Austrian…Help needed

Marcus66

Hello all,

I just purchased this medal.  This is the french Academic Order of Palmes, however what makes this so unique is that it was awarded on a Austrian trifold.  This particular medal is a Type II which were awarded from approximately 1850-1955. It is gilded silver with purple enamels, marked with a boar's head and maker marked "A B R" within a diamond-shaped frame on the leafing just to the left of the ball suspension on the obverse, measuring 28.8 mm (w) x 40.8 mm (h) inclusive of its laterally-pierced ball suspension.  

What I am curious about is the Austrian relationship to this particular medal.  Conducting some preliminary online research, the only Austrian that I have been thus far able to identify receiving this award is Karl Ritter von Stremayr.  Due to this being a Type II medal, early issue, this puts the medal prior to 1955 and furthermore judging from the trifold construction, this particular ribbon appears to be prior to 1918 (based on the hook and eye being zinc).  Any further insight into this medal would be greatly appreciated.

Note:  This has been posted in the Austrian forum as well.  Thanks so much

Marcus

3DFDE9FE-F537-451F-9907-9DCA59097820.thumb.jpeg.acff5e9651a9ec6cd61d294005a32d6c.jpeg

E8171558-6564-4E5D-A030-50FD87CB9F54.thumb.jpeg.d78d9cec31f91364d03f0c6f5ab2a6a8.jpeg

I don't think you can be 100% certain it was awarded to an Austrian.

I have a handful of other medals on triangular ribbons awarded to known recipients (and none of them Austrian) - from the 'pro' version with the hook (as yours) to more or less homemade trifolds.

I believe this ribbon shape became popular around 1880-1900 and was copied frequently.

9 hours ago, Great Dane said:

I don't think you can be 100% certain it was awarded to an Austrian.

I have a handful of other medals on triangular ribbons awarded to known recipients (and none of them Austrian) - from the 'pro' version with the hook (as yours) to more or less homemade trifolds.

I believe this ribbon shape became popular around 1880-1900 and was copied frequently.

Hi,

I agree with you wholeheartedly that one can never be 100% sure, however with that being said, based on the age of this particular award (type 2), as well as the ribbon manufacture, this narrows down the recipient list considerably.  Post WW1, I believe, (and I could be incorrect in this assumption) that this award would have been worn on the the regular straight ribbon if awarded to anyone other than an Austrian.  This is based on the numbers awarded and the dates from 1918-1955, after which the “type 3” award was then manufactured.

M.  

7 hours ago, paul wood said:

Not necessarily Austrian, triangular ribbon was popular in the Balkans, especially Serbia.

P

True enough however I have been able to locate a list indicating this particular medal (Ordre des Palmes Académiques (officer)) has been awarded to date 207 times.  That being said, I have not been able to locate (as of yet) any Balkan or Serbian recipients.

M.