News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Rising Sun 2nd Class Set - Hirata?

TracA

Greetings,

Recently I obtained this wonderful cased ORS 2nd class set at auction, from the Michael Quigley collection. A noted collector, longtime OMSA member, and intimately involved in the third edition (2000) of Peterson’s “Orders and Medals…”.

The case came in an outer wooden box with pictures of an ORS 2nd class set (but not of this particular set) and on the pictures were written “early circa Meiji (Harado)” by, I assume, Michael Quigley.

Per Peterson p. 22 (2000) the badge and star have the hallmarks of Hirata manufacture: the enamel is yellowish-white and the grooves between the rays are slightly wider than all other ORS medals that I own. In addition, the badge is light, only weighing 54.3g compared to the weight of a 3rd class ORS badge that I own (era of manufacture undetermined) coming in at 66.6g. Finally, the width of the rays for the 2nd class badge and star are about 1mm, while the width of the rays for the aforementioned 3rd class badge is 2mm.

Regarding the breast star, I assume that two of the four screws are replacements because the slot on the heads run the width of the heads, unlike all other pictures that I’ve seen of such screws. But the most fascinating aspect of the set is the fastening mechanism for the breast star: no pins, but a screw in the center of the reverse inscription. The screw has a thin, concave nut that has two eyelets on it and two punch marks. Alas, even with 3.5X cheater glasses and a 25X magnifying glass I cannot make out what the marks are. I was unable to find pictures of such a breast star during my numerous internet searches, but I have a vague memory of seeing such a fastener on an ORS breast star a very long time ago (perhaps just over 20 years). 

Finally, the presentation case, I think, is not original to the set. It looks “too modern”. As an aside, the breast star medalbed is missing and in its place is a medalbed for a 3rd class badge. Interestingly under this medalbed for the star a small square of the wood is unlacquered and it has two characters painted on it.

Pictures below, but some questions that I have are:

• I assume that the reference to “Harado” is a reference to “Hirata”, or is it a reference to a different manufacturer?
    • Thoughts on whether or not this set was manufactured by Hirata? If so, estimated dates of manufacture?
    • What to make of the screw fastener on the breast star. Anyone else seen one of these types of ORS breast stars or have pictures of one?
    • Any idea what the punch marks on the screw nut could be?

As always, I am very grateful to all responders.

Obverse of the badge:

Hirata ORS 2 Neck Badge Obv Crop.jpg

Reverse of the badge:

Hirata ORS 2 Neck Badge Rev Crop.jpg

Breast star obverse:

Hirata ORS 2 Star Obv Crop.jpg

Breast star reverse:

Hirata ORS 2 Star Rev Crop.jpg

Screw nut and punch marks:

Hirata ORS 2 Nut Punch Marks Crop.jpg

Case lid:

Hirata ORS 2 Box Lid Inscription Crop.jpg

Two characters painted on an unlacquered portion of the box under the 3rd class badge medalbed substituted for the actual breast star medalbed. Do the characters symbolize 42?

Hirata ORS 2 Inside Box.jpg

Edited by TracA

49 minutes ago, TracA said:

• I assume that the reference to “Harado” is a reference to “Hirata”, or is it a reference to a different manufacturer?
    • Thoughts on whether or not this set was manufactured by Hirata? If so, estimated dates of manufacture?
    • What to make of the screw fastener on the breast star. Anyone else seen one of these types of ORS breast stars or have pictures of one?
    • Any idea what the punch marks on the screw nut could be?

Two characters painted on an unlacquered portion of the box under the 3rd class badge medalbed substituted for the actual breast star medalbed. Do the characters symbolize 42?

1) Yes https://asiamedals.info/forums/rising-sun-orders-made-by-hirata-workshop.627/

2) Circa 1890s/1910s. Definitely not an early Hirata-made 2nd class (not to mention that early 2nd class didn`t have a neck badge) https://asiamedals.info/threads/early-meiji-era-2nd-class-rising-sun-order-breast-stars-in-hexagon-cases.23183/

3) Original pin was removed (you could still see the traces of fitting) and screw was added. Silver screw plate was taken from Imperial Russian badge (if it original and not a replica).

4) These are Russian marks (most likely from 1908-1917 time period).

5) Yes, 42. Typical technical mark of case manufacturer that could be found inside Japanese order cases.  

Best,

Nick

Nick,

As always your deep knowledge and expertise are very much appreciated and my collection is richer for it. Once I read your reply about the trace marks of the fitting for the original pin on the reverse of the breast star I could see it immediately. Before your reply I was blind to it.

Two more questions, if you don’t mind: 

• I assume that Hirata still manufacturing in the 1890s/1910s. Is that correct?
    • Any idea what the rough end date of Hirata manufacture was?

Tracy

I have in my collection 4th class Rising Sun made by Hirata workshop in January 1921 (it is still in original paper wrapper with the date and name of the workshop) This is the highest time coordinate known to me for today. 

Unfortunately it is impossible to determine the manufacturer of your set. In 1890s/1910s there were several private manufacturers of Rising Sun orders in Japan.

Best,

Nick