News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Maker Marks

Hello,

I know next to nothing about EK's but am looking to expand my WWI-medal collection with an EK II

Is there a list on different MM's somewhere to be found on the internet? What other things are there to pay attention to to see the difference between fake and original? What would be the most common EKII (and thus the lowest price range and least risk of fakes) to add to my collection? What price range are we talking about? Thanks for all the help guys!

i'll have to dig up my list of 1914 EK maker marks....

because of the sheer number of awards, fakes are not

common. yet...

i started paying $15-25 a number of years ago for them.

they are commonly in the $40-75 range at shows now,

and there are web sites where they are selling from $75-

it is quite easy, with a little looking around, to find a

wonderful cross with a nice piece of original ribbon.

best of luck in your search!

joe

Thanks for the encouragement Joe. I'll get one of these beauties in the near future. They're just too darn special looking in order not too...

If you succeed in digging up that list I'm still interested. Could only help me in my purchase right!

Here is a link to the list on Tony Schnurr's web site "Kaiser's Bunker". Since you are just starting out on 1914 EKs, I would recommend staying with the 3 piece types (silver frame and iron center). There are original one and two piece stampings, buy most EK2 fakes are one piece. Also check out the fakes threads shown at the top of the The Orders, Decorations and Medals of The Imperial German States forum section, the fakes are getting very good and will fool most people unless you know what to looks for.

Dan Murphy

EK 2 makers

Edited by Daniel Murphy