News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Rising Sun 4th Class Wrapper From The Mint - Translation Question

TracA

Hello,

I have an Order of the Rising Sun 4th Class that came in the protective wrapper used by the Japanese Mint. I have two questions about translating the kanji on the wrapper. I believe that the four kanji on the bottom left column (造幣局製) read something like “made by the bureau of the mint”. Regarding the center and upper right columns:

• I am fairly confident that the center column (四等章)means “fourth class badge” although the top character is, to my eyes, not very close to  although it could simply be highly stylized. Is my reading of the center column correct?
    • I read the two kanji in the upper right as 瑞 寶 but I am having trouble translating them. Is the first character “luster” or “congratulations” and the second character “treasure” or “treasured item”? What would be a relatively smooth translation of those characters into English?

As always, I am grateful for all of the knowledge shared.

Tracy

ORS 4 Wrapper.jpg

Nick,

I knew that I should have checked your website before posting. Had I done so I would have had my questions answered. I was way, way off with this one. My wrapper is for an 8th Class Sacred Treasure, not a 4th Class Rising Sun.

As always, thank you!

Tracy