News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi

I have an pilot Lt x Beck who apparently served the entire War within the Fliegertruppe. Flugsport 1916 nr 8 reported that he received the Ritterkreuz II Klasse des Albrechtsorden mit Schwerten. Later promoted Oblt.

I do think that he is the Lt Johannes Beck from IR 104 listed in the Saxon Rangliste from 1912 as Lt 18.08.1911. Oblt x, I dont have access to the Saxon MWB from the War.

Anyone who can confirm ? or have any basic info on him ?

Gunnar

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gunnar.

Ernst Johannes Beck, born 27.07.1891 in Neukirchen/Erzgebirge. 1905-1910 in Saxon Kadettenkorps. Then joined the IR 104 as an Fähnrich. His unit at the time of his decoration with Albrechtsorden was Armeeflugpark 2 (Source: MWB Nr. 21 (30. März 1916). Promoted to Oberlt. 21.12.1916. He survived the war and left the Army with the rank of Hauptmann.

Regards

Stefan

MWB 1916.jpg

Edited by IR 134

Great info Stefan 😀

I have some minor adds regarding his flying career despite that I dont have any good service record for him.

In late 1914 he was in EFP 2 (renamed AFP 2 in Apr. 1915). Before Jun 1915 he did join the "Saxon" FFA 23. One of the most famous aviation units during the War. One of the books dealing with the later part of this unit says that nine Pour le Merite holders served within the unit during the War. However I can only find eight so far.

In Nov 1915 he apparently took over as OzbV (Offizier zur besondere Verwendung) of FFA 23. And as you mentioned he was back as Adj in AFP 2 in Mar 1916.

Later probably Aug 1916 he was transferred to stab Stofl/Kofl 2 as Adj. I have him in that function Dec 1916 and Mar 1917.

He left as Adjutant of Kofl 2 in Febr 1918 and went either to an FEA or another AFP, I dont knew which unit.

btw, I have an mysterious Rittm x Barth who was Kp leader at FEA 9 Darmstadt in Febr 1917. 

The only candidate I have is the Saxon Oblt dR (II Dresden) Alfred Barth from TrB 12 who seems to have left the Saxon Army during 1915 - 1916. I knew that the connection is weak 🙃

Have you seen any Saxon Rittm Barth ?

One Rittm Barth apparently served within the Saxon Freikorps after the War.

Once again, thanks for your help !

Gunnar