News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Recent acquisitions: vintage USMC and USN named medals

Rich

I'm usually a strictly British/Commonwealth collector of medals to submariners, detectives, and my surname,  hence huge gaps in my posting on the GMIC (still a stalker though!) but have always had a soft-spot for US medals, especially officially named examples. Here are a few of my recent acquisitions. 

Some of the information comes courtesy of some helpful chaps on the British Medal Forum, the remainder from the USN muster lists and odd records of marines listed as passengers aboard USN vessels on Fold3 (I don't have Ancestry for the US).

Walter S Farmer (typo on stamping) who served as a submariner in both the North African and Pacific campaigns. It seems he later served in the Korean War in some capacity. Died aged only 40 in 1961. Served USS Gunnell in Operation Torch and then various boats in the Pacific war. I have (hopefully) successfully applied for his service records entirely online - surprised i've not been asked to pay for them yet, but my order is apparently being processed.

USMC GC medal to a Stephen Koval. Features in some muster rolls aboard troop transports in various Pacific campaigns. Fold3 has a reference to him reaching the rank of Master Gunnery Sergeant and having served in Korea and Vietnam.

USMC GC to a William N Rozier. Soon to be (re)attached to a suspension bar and ribbon. A helpful member of the BMF said lots of references to William Roziers in USMC muster lists, including as a sergeant in the mid-late 40s, but nothing definitive as yet. Doesn't seem to be in USN muster lists for WW2, but I assume he enlisted 1944/5 to get the GCM in 1948..

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated, especially the Rozier medal as he is a mystery man. Comments, queries, suggestions welcome on this thread.

farmer 1.JPG

Farmer 2.JPG

Koval 2.JPG

koval medal 1.JPG

Rozier 1.JPG

rozier 2.JPG

Edited by Rich

It looks like there are 2 William N. Rozier's in the Marine Corps Rolls - #1 served 1931-37 and was discharged at his own convenience (Bought his way out)

#2 shows up in April 1941 as a Cpl with a Service Company at Parris Island and later as a Recruiting Sgt. in Chicago 1941-42 by 1945 he is a Platoon Sgt. with the Marine Detachment on the USS Hornet. He serves until 1953 in various supply billets. 

Possibly the same guy with an interesting career but his first Good Conduct medal would have been in the 1930's

Bill

Hi Bill

That's excellent, thanks so much for looking and also for the scans.

I'm assuming it was the 1941 Rozier (sounds like a wine vintage), but presumably he'd have already had some years' service by 1941. If so, would it be possible for him to get his first GCM as late as in 1948? I thought subsequent enlistments were shown by bars and then stars.

Koval seems to have had a long and varied 3-war career - I think his ribbon is missing an additional bronze star.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Rich

US Army Good Conduct Medal to a Joseph Kwiatowski. The only references I can find on Fold3 to this relatively uncommon spelling of the more common Kwiatkowski relate to an infantry PFC who was injured on 4 October 1951 and returned to duty a month later. I wonder whether it occurred during the First Battle of Maryang-San. His hospital record states at that point he had served in "AUS D" (Army of the United States D?)  for 21 months.  I believe him to be the Richard Joseph Kwiatowski born 1929 and resident in Buffalo NY. I'm assuming, unlike British medals, with these the recipient could nominate what details he wanted stamped on the medal?

kwiatowski2.JPG

kwiatowski3.JPG

Edited by Rich

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice, Brig. Strange to think he might have become a recruiting sergeant with such little prior service; I always think of them as early middle-aged guys with decades or service.

On 13/02/2023 at 11:24, Rich said:

Thanks for the advice, Brig. Strange to think he might have become a recruiting sergeant with such little prior service; I always think of them as early middle-aged guys with decades or service.

Recruiting is about salesmanship, not experience. Today, the average Marine recruiter has 4-12 years of service, with the majority probably being on the lower half of that estimate.

• 1 year later...

I have just received the service papers for FARMER from the archives. Very impressive results; took a long time but free and worth the wait.

It shows he re-enlisted several times. He was additionally entitled to the WW2 Victory Medal (obviously), the Navy Occupation Medal with Asia bar, the China Service Medal (was aboard the USS Besugo, which patrolled off the Chinese Hainan Island during the Korean War) and the National Defense Medal. Plus a Combat Action Ribbon (retro award) and Submarine Combat Badge with one star.

Is it possible he never bothered to get these awards mounted and just kept his 'top five' to wear? Could he have got through 6 more years including the odd parade without getting them added to his rack? Otherwise one would assume he'd have had to get them remounted in one row of 3 and a bottom row of 5? 

Also, if anyone has a period mounted bar with the above four medals mounted on them I'd be very interested in them, to complete his entitlement.

Thanks 

Richard

Thanks for that information and clarification, Bill; much appreciated. I can only then assume his other medals were never mounted - if issued. 

40 minutes ago, Rich said:

Thanks for that information and clarification, Bill; much appreciated. I can only then assume his other medals were never mounted - if issued. 

I agree - I have seen Navy groups with the first 5 mounted and the rest on the medals as single (unmounted).

Bill