News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Rising Sun 7th Class in a Chocolate Case with Two Column Kanji

TracA

Greetings,

I picked-up this little gem a while ago: Order of the Rising Sun 7th class, enameled on both the obverse and reverse, with a bow lapel pin, and a double row of gold kanji on the lid. Bonus: the case is a nice chocolate color [I have read the “6th class Rising Sun in Chocolate Case” post started by JapanX on this Forum]. However, in hand the color is not even. It is lighter, almost reddish, where the flat surface of the top and bottom lids meet the curve of the sides; at some of the edges of the sides the lacquer appears even thinner and the natural wood color almost shows through; although the inner case border on the lid appears chocolate I note that the inner case border on the bottom appears either black or such a dark brown that it gives the appearance of black. I apologize, but I just cannot get good pictures of the case with my phone.

Two things:

• I’m thinking that the chocolate to reddish to almost natural wood colors are caused by a poor lacquering job and maybe exposure to sunlight/climate.
    • Assuming that the medal and bow lapel pin were issued together and issued in this very case, I’m thinking that the time period for this “set” is the 1930s or earlier.

Thoughts?

As always, I am grateful for all feedback given.

Tracy

Obverse:

ORS 7 Obv Bow 2x Enamel.jpg

Reverse:

ORS 7 Rev 2x Enamel.jpg

Case lid:

ORS 7 Chocolate Case Two Column Kanji.jpg

17 hours ago, TracA said:

• I’m thinking that the chocolate to reddish to almost natural wood colors are caused by a poor lacquering job and maybe exposure to sunlight/climate.

True.

17 hours ago, TracA said:

• Assuming that the medal and bow lapel pin were issued together and issued in this very case, I’m thinking that the time period for this “set” is the 1930s or earlier.

Nice set. I'd say circa 1910s.

Best,

Nick