News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The 1900 War Medal / 明治三十三年従軍記章

No one

Dear Gentlemen,

In his excellent monograph "Orders & Medals of Japan and Associated States" James W. Peterson wrote about the bar of the "1900 War Medal", I quote "... and the attached bar is of the usual form, with four seal characters translating "China Incident"". I think that the four seal characters stand for "Qing Dynasty Incident".

image.thumb.jpeg.845ee619a590d3c7bb6af25e81a10ade.jpeg

image.jpeg.8da81db4aa217f54d1fe12b72741e22a.jpeg

image.jpeg.c96743f2b88b71929b43116727350cd7.jpeg

Yours sincerely,

No one

• 7 months later...

Greetings,

I thought that I would add to this wonderful and informative post started by No One and contributed to by JapanX.

Below is my recently obtained 1900 War Medal/Boxer Rebellion Medal. To me what makes this example special is the handwritten kanji and clearly what appears to be a stamped red circle with two kanji inside, all on the underside of the lid. As usual I struggle with the kanji transcription and interpretation. So, I’ll have questions to go along with the picture of the underside of the lid.

Thank you.

Tracy

Obverse:

1900 War Medal Obv.jpg

Reverse:

1900 War Medal Rev.jpg

Box lid with the gilt inscription 明治三十三年従軍記章 for “Meiji Year 33 War Medal”. 1900 was the 33rd year of Meiji:

1900 War Medal Box Lid.jpg

Underside of the lid. The right column is 従軍記章え?番号. I cannot figure out what the sixth kanji is or what it and the fifth could mean together. I believe that the other kanji translate to “War medal…number”.

The left column is 第四十貮百六拾?師. I believe that the first eight kanji translate to “Number 4260”. I cannot figure out what the eighth kanji is but I have an inkling that it and the ninth kanji might be a surname. Perhaps 若師, Wakashi?

1900 War Medal Box Lid Underside Kanji.jpg

Close-up of the two kanji inside a circle, all stamped in red: I believe that the first kanji is and the second kanji is possibly, maybe for a combined 岩岸, meaning Iwakishi? Could this be a manufacturer’s stamp? Maybe a place name, perhaps the city of Iwaki in Fukushima prefecture, a place where the recipient was issued the medal?

1900 War Medal Box Lid Underside Stamp.jpg

Dear No One,

Thank you so much for your assistance. Although I was able to figure out that and are document kanji for numbers, I failed to realize, among other things, that is also.

Regarding the red stamped surname Iwaki, I assume that is the surname of the official (?) who actually certified that this was medal No. 4261.

Thank you again.

All the best,

Tracy

Dear TracA,

Regarding the red stamped surname Iwaki, I assume that is the surname of the official (?) who actually certified that this was medal No. 4261. "

Yes, I think so. This seal is the equivalent of a signature and makes the text official.

As for the last kanji "𭈹"  it is more often/commonly written  "號".

image.thumb.jpeg.ec7cf6129be58a1f9336a1e5c2827938.jpeg

Yours sincerely,

No one

Edited by No one

On 01/09/2023 at 20:18, hxihiu111 said:

Perhaps the name of manufacturer.

At first that's what I thought, but when I couldn't find reference to that manufacturer at Medals of Asia (https://asiamedals.info/#japan.459) and after No One helped me translate the kanji, I then figured that the stamp was that of the certifying official.

Tracy

On 01/09/2023 at 22:15, No one said:

Dear TracA,

Regarding the red stamped surname Iwaki, I assume that is the surname of the official (?) who actually certified that this was medal No. 4261. "

Yes, I think so. This seal is the equivalent of a signature and makes the text official.

As for the last kanji "𭈹"  it is more often/commonly written  "號".

image.thumb.jpeg.ec7cf6129be58a1f9336a1e5c2827938.jpeg

Yours sincerely,

No one

No One,

You read my mind. I was having much difficulty transcribing that last kanji as I could only find it as two separate characters and not a single character. 

Thank you, as always.

Tracy