News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello from Austria

StefanK.

On 03/10/2023 at 21:23, tifes said:

Hi Farmer,

"Gebrueder Resch" was a jewellery company based in Vienna, at Kohlmarkt. They produced high quality decorations like Franz-Joseph Order´s decorations (knight and commanders/GK crosses and breast stars) as well as Merit Crosses with or without crown in Gold and Silver, but also Military Merit Crosses (earlier versions,very scarce). Company was active in years 1864-1876.

It´s generally believed that it moved to Romania afterwards, because there are not any further pieces made by Resch in Austria-Hungary after above-mentioned period, but they are in Romania. So it´s very interesting what you are saying. Coincidence of name and two different jewelers? it might be! There would be just one question left...what happened with Viennese "Gebrueder Resch" after 1876?      

Regards,

Tomas

Interesting indeed!  Contrary to what I wrote earlier, perhaps they were the same people, operating 2 jewelry businesses simultaneously in Bucarest and Vienna. Definitely not impossible.

Names certainly match (except for Ernst Resch - this name is not mentioned at all in Romanian publications). I did some further reading. According to source in Romania (published for Resch's 100th anniversary by the Guild of jewelers and clock-makers in Romania - in 1937), there were two Lorenz's, the first who purportedly came from the Empire (presumably Vienna) and settled in Brasov (Romania), who was the father of Lorenz II and Josef. Brothers (Lorenz II and Josef) founded the business in Bucarest in 1837. When Josef died, his sons Carol and Heinrich took over (both died in 1930s). The question is, if they indeed operated two businesses, where was the actual manufacturing shop. Often, what is stated on boxes and the documents were retail stores. Josef Resch build his house in Theater district in Bucarest between 1855-57, top floors were the living quarters and the ground floor became their main store. House was sold in 1880 but the retail location remained there, until at least when Heinrich died in 1930. The actual workshop was in another part of Bucarest. Considered provider to the Royal House of Romania at least by 1881, their biggest business was clocks and watches and custom jewellery plus they imported fine things from different parts of Europe. Some of the earliest Romanian orders were retailed by them but in all likelihood made in Austria first (Fischmeister, possibly others).

Cheers.

Edited by farmer
    spelling mistake

• 3 weeks later...

Dear gentlemen, 

I‘ve been trying for weeks to respond to this interesting tread but didn‘t find time yet. I am sorry! Right now I just want to thank the contributors that this thread - that temporarily seemed to ger out of hand - found its way back to a scientific debate. That‘s great 👍🏼

greetings, Stefan

PS: in the meantime I found some new interesting details on the company Gebr. Resch that I will publish asap.

On 08/10/2023 at 17:07, tifes said:

There is another fact confirmed, which was discussed here. Gebr. Resch had its branch in Romania, Bucharest. 

1858:

image.png.9731a03d8ed4a6bc5d135764561cf0d5.png

The "Podu mogosoe" address in Bucharest is "Podul Mogoșoaiei", the main thoroughfare of the city at that time, hosting among others the Royal Palace. It was named "Calea Victoriei" on 12 October 1878, honouring the Romanian victory in the Independence War of 1877–1878.

On 24/10/2023 at 05:43, farmer said:

Josef Resch build his house in Theater district in Bucarest between 1855-57, top floors were the living quarters and the ground floor became their main store. House was sold in 1880 but the retail location remained there, until at least when Heinrich died in 1930. The actual workshop was in another part of Bucarest. Considered provider to the Royal House of Romania at least by 1881, their biggest business was clocks and watches and custom jewellery plus they imported fine things from different parts of Europe. Some of the earliest Romanian orders were retailed by them but in all likelihood made in Austria first (Fischmeister, possibly others).

The address of the house and shop was Calea Victoriei 52. Here is a link to the history of the place:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Passage

... and the house on Google Maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.4364826,26.097865,3a,75y,39.75h,103.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPDVYem1jhoUN265UM_aq2w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu