News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Honour Medal for Courage and Devotion- researchable?

Rich

Hello all

I have acquired a French police medal pair, both named to Georges Verdure. A police long service medal (pre-1932 type) and the above named silver bravery medal. Are there any accessible records that might point to the circumstances behind its award? 

If no official list, is there a French online newspaper archive that might mention the tale, as would be likely with a similar British award?

Naturally, if his police records are available I'd also be most interested in finding out about how to get them.

Thanks

Richard

bravery police medals.jpg

Edited by Rich

Hello Richard,

These medals are recorded in the "Journal Officiel de la République Française" which is researchable at https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cb34378481r/date.r=Journal+officiel+de+la+republique+francaise+Lois+et+decrets.langFR . The search engine is not perfect and some of the scanned pages are not entirely legible but it is a very useful tool.

Your man was Georges Edouard Alexandre Verdure and he joined the police force in November 1901 as trainee.

He is mentioned as having been awarded, in February 1910, with the Medal of Honour for Courage and Devotion 1st class in silver. The citation indicates he was, at the time, a "sous-brigadier" in Paris and had been awarded the 2nd class silver medal previously. He received the 1st class medal for having distinguished himself in difficult circumstances and in lifesaving from the Seine river in 1908 and 1909.

In March 1922 he was awarded the long service medal for municipal police with the rank of "brigadier".

The medal of honour in your picture seems to be the 2nd class silver one (which he must have received between 1901 and 1910) unless you can find traces of gilding on the oak leaves suspension ...

Relevant pages from the Journals are attached.

Regards,

Hendrik

VerdureTrainee1901.jpeg

Verdure1Cl1910.jpeg

VerdureLS1922.jpeg

Hendrik that is marvellous! Thank you so much for not only providing where the information can be found, but also for the scans. 

Now I know his full name and that he was in Paris, would it be worth contacting the Prefecture to get his police service record, it may explain the earlier award? From my understanding, it seems they provide these for free but do not conduct searches for third parties (i.e. people like me!) - so would I need to employ a local researcher?

https://www.prefecturedepolice.interieur.gouv.fr/archives 

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Rich

I have just used that website and found another of my gendarmes - one Felix Chanas, a policeman in pre-WW2 Algeria. Excellent

I have also found Verdure's pre-service military service document - it seems he was exempt from mobilisation as he was a police officer  https://archivesenligne.pasdecalais.fr/v2/ad62/visualiseur/matricule.html?id=620474663&imgpage=frad062_1r_9163_0361.jpg&cote=1r_9163 Showing he came from St Omer South, and served in the 10th Arrondisement (?) of Paris.

Edited by Rich

18 hours ago, Rich said:

From my understanding, it seems they provide these for free but do not conduct searches for third parties (i.e. people like me!) - so would I need to employ a local researcher?

Hi Richard,

According to their website, files are only made available on the spot so a local researcher seems to be the answer.

Well done on Verdure's military service document - a baker turned into an excellent NCO and ended up as policeman 🙂

Regards,

Hendrik

Bonjour Richard

I was looking for info on Kassassin/ Egypt ...and ended up here 🤔 by chance, at least for you, as i might propose to help , leaving in Paris suburb and now retired. Provided u tell me where to go and what to do ...

Bonsoir and best regards

Gérard

Bonsoir Gerard

That is very kind of you to offer, and such a coincidence! Apologies I have only just seen your post as I have had  busy week and not checked-in to the GMIC. 

I would be very grateful if you could help me locate M Verdure's police record. It seems - from my reading of the French language! - that they will happily provide service papers for free, in a reading room. This is there website with the detailes

https://www.prefecturedepolice.interieur.gouv.fr/archives

If you read through it and would still be willing to help by going and copying or photographing the Verdure's papers, please let me know and I would happily take up your kind offer and pay you for your time and any expenses. 

Thanks,

Richard

PS: Medals arrived today, I have added some pictures.

archives.JPG

verdure2.JPG

verdure1.JPG

Edited by Rich

Felix Chanas' military service records - ties up with his later Algerian police service 

http://anom.archivesnationales.culture.gouv.fr/regmatmil/osd.php?clef=Chanas-Félix Maurice-1916-2059-Algérie-Alger-1896-11-20-Dolfusville-Alger- 

I am also trying to research a bronze honour/devotion medal (as per above to Verdure) named to an X (Xavier?)  BLAY in the Journal of France, but I cannot find any mention of the award. I found an X Blay who was a French sailor killed in WW1, but that is the nearest. The medal seems old. 

If someone better skilled could locate the date/reason for this award I'd be much obliged.  

Thanks 

Richard

• 4 months later...

verduremedals1.thumb.JPG.be3fcaefc5d352e0fa41a21c64b99edb.JPGverduremedals2.thumb.JPG.1cdaa42d9e6e132d40c1da6e6b6aeb6e.JPG

Just gave the Verdure medals a bit of spit and polish for the first time in probably a century and it seems it is the 1st class version he received in 1910, noting the gilding on the suspension.

Hopefully his second class medal is out there, or was awarded unnamed!

Richard