News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help IDing This Early 20th Century Uniform

Hi, guys.

Pictured is Lord Claud Hamilton, a distant cousin of mine. In doing research, I found the attached picture of him. Try as I might, I cannot identify the uniform he is wearing, nor can I identify the shoulder titles on his epaulets. Can anyone help with the identification?

Thank you!

Claud Hamilton.png

BDCD.png

Edited by ItemCo16527

He appears to be wearing a Metropolitan Special Constabulary uniform. The cap badge is certainly that of the MSC. His shoulder title is "HQCD" (Headquarters Central Detachment). He is probably a senior officer, although his rank markings (if that is what they are) are not familiar to me. I show herewith the cap badge he is wearing.

I hope this is helpful.

Dave.

DSCF1301 (2).JPG

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

13 hours ago, ItemCo16527 said:

Hi, guys.

Pictured is Lord Claud Hamilton, a distant cousin of mine. In doing research, I found the attached picture of him. Try as I might, I cannot identify the uniform he is wearing, nor can I identify the shoulder titles on his epaulets. Can anyone help with the identification?

Thank you!

Claud Hamilton.png

BDCD.png

Hi , I think that Claud Hamilton was chairman of the Great Eastern  Railway   Ian

I think that Claud Hamilton was the chairman of the Great Eastern Railway

2 hours ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

He appears to be wearing a Metropolitan Special Constabulary uniform. The cap badge is certainly that of the MSC. His shoulder title is "HQCD" (Headquarters Central Detachment). He is probably a senior officer, although his rank markings (if that is what they are) are not familiar to me. I show herewith the cap badge he is wearing.

I hope this is helpful.

Dave.

DSCF1301 (2).JPG

I think you might be right. I had a feeling I m ight have been wrong about the shoulder titles, but the letters are hard to make out. Upon looking at them again, it does look like HQCD. Thank you so much! I don't think I ever would have figured that out. I really appreciate your help!

Edit: doing a quick Google search, I found this book, which also features a picture of Lord Hamilton: The Specials, How They Served London. Thank you again!

Edited by ItemCo16527