News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Canadian Patriotic Fund badge

I come seeking some information about the pictured Canadian Patriotic Fund badge.  This badge is in my collection along with some well know round Canadian Patriotic Fund badges. The crest beneath the maples leaves appears to be the same as the one on the cover of the book "THE CANADIAN PATRIOTIC FUND - A RECORD OF ITS ACTIVITIES FROM 1914 TO 1919" by Phillip H. Morris.  Any assistance in that can be provided would be very much appreciated.  The maker is Tansey of Montreal.

Regards,

Gordon

l22_mnc5150_568.jpg

l22_mnc5152_569.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Gordon, 

there is a thread about CPF badges here👇 it has some links to pictures but I can’t access them, maybe you can?

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=33826&mode=linear

Try as I might I couldn’t find another badge like yours, I found one old ‘for sale’ page with a description for a badge seemingly like yours but there was no picture or additional information.

Last but not least 👇

The then Canadian coat of arms…

A91BBC45-5000-4C5B-B319-CDAC6905CE06.thumb.jpeg.11852326d6ced67a1b9ddac4c6b895fd.jpeg

👍

tony

You’re welcome Gordon. 👍

The focus of their thread is those round ww1 period badges (unless the pictures add to it.)

I think yours is earlier though…

I didn’t notice it before but I’ve got a feeling the crown on your badge is the King Edward vii design 🤔

87AD1E2E-3108-4ED8-89EC-42A535D97791.thumb.png.4449555c89c298d43fdc770c13c978b1.png

The ‘still regional’ CPF was active during the Boer war, 1899 - 1902…  

This and the crown could date your badge to very early Edwardian.

tony

Farcas,

Interesting observations.  In your earlier post you said and I quote below;  Would you be able to post that particular page here?  It has been suggested that this badge dates to the Boer War but I have not reference indicating that CPF badges were made in that period.  The earliest reference that I can find for T. P. Tansey is a poster dated 1904.  With that date the firm could have existed during the Boer War. 

http://www.925-1000.com/td/f/Canada/Tansey-1904.jpg

The CPF was established with the funds, properties, etc of the Canadian Patriotic Fund Association (established in 1901) and was essentially regional for some time after the CPF act was passed in August of 1914.   It eventually became more centrally controlled.

Thanks again for your interest.  Your posts have been helpful.

Regards,

Gordon

On 09/04/2023 at 00:47, Farkas said:

I found one old ‘for sale’ page with a description for a badge seemingly like yours but there was no picture or additional information.

I’ll find the ad for the badge again, it was on Etsy or Pinterest and not period.

In meantime this was the source for activity during the Boer war…

tony

EF387F40-6717-4801-BD23-DB22E000348A.thumb.png.eef7a366f35ac258b6003665cdeba039.png

edit

i hope I didn’t get your hopes up with the mention of the ‘old’ advert.

Edited by Farkas
    Edit

One site I found gave the address

17 Drummond Street, Montreal.

but, as you obviously already know it is a real bitch to find anything about them, usually when I check makers they are listed on ‘makers mark’ websites, Tansey isn’t listed on the ones I checked, I guess he wasn’t a jeweller so no particular mark was used… 

tony

0C8ACD91-D202-4946-95C3-396643DB9C38.thumb.png.9b3161c1d28b2e10223b547b3564e38b.png

22 hours ago, Farkas said:

I’ll find the ad for the badge again, it was on Etsy or Pinterest and not period.

In meantime this was the source for activity during the Boer war…

tony

EF387F40-6717-4801-BD23-DB22E000348A.thumb.png.eef7a366f35ac258b6003665cdeba039.png

edit

i hope I didn’t get your hopes up with the mention of the ‘old’ advert.

Farcas,

I have the book that this quote came from.  Unfortunately, the book only concentrates on the overall operation of patriotic funds in Canada and on individual provinces from the period 1914-1919.  It says nothing at all about badges unfortunately.

Regards,

Gordon

Farcas,

You are correct.  T. P. Tansey was not a jeweler.  The company made "Banners, Badges, Buttons, Pins, and "ephemera" as the WorthPoint article your posts mentions.  Here is the poster that I referred to yesterday.  I was unable to save a picture of it so I printed and scanner the advertisement.

Regards,

Gordon

Scan_20230412.thumb.png.d6ce3bfe342893a13ded24da3a250562.png

On 10/04/2023 at 14:23, Gordon Craig said:

It has been suggested that this badge dates to the Boer War but I have not reference indicating that CPF badges were made in that period. 

Hi Gordon,

If this is still frustrating to me I can’t imagine how you feel! 😊

I have just found this however.

It isn’t made by Tansey but it is described as a Boer war patriotic fund badge depicting a Colonel Labelle…

Colonel A. Labelle VD was in charge of the Montreal Patriotic Fund for the the Boer War”

90B6CE75-E4D4-4097-BA93-568D763F8BE7.thumb.jpeg.e56e987def9e598e383b2c5be6bc1604.jpeg

B8F45F3F-9E3E-4F59-B3D4-4B8640B9B270.thumb.jpeg.9c90fac2206aec11b570e14778e50518.jpeg

There was no picture showing the reverse of the above badge but below is one by the same maker.

AD22CF1B-1717-4295-A690-C9B3166CD1E9.thumb.jpeg.926d4227392b6fdf9ed3ca60297bbd9c.jpeg

👍

tony

Farcas,

Thanks for your continued interest in my quest.  However,  I do not believe that  the button you posted is connected to the CPF Association of the Boer war.  If it was it would say so.  It is obviously associated with Col. Labelle of the Carabiniers Mont-Royal (CMR).  My reference material lists, for the Patriotic Fund Association of 1900, officers as Col. D. T. Irwin,   C.M.G. as the Secretary and J. M. Courtney C.M.G., I.S.O the treasurer.  The CPF Association stayed in operation until August 14.  Its remaining funds were transferred for use by the Canadian Patriotic Fund of 1914.  I have no reference associating Col. Labelle with the CPF Association.

LIEUTENANT-COLONEL AE LABELLE

1897-1902

1907-1912

On April 10, 1897, the Carabiniers Mont-Royal once again changed commanders. Succeeding Lieutenant-Colonel Prévost, Major Alfred ED Labelle was thereby promoted to the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel.

Born in Montreal on August 23, 1886, Labelle was the son of a Montreal grain inspector. He entered the regiment as a private in 1882, a veteran of the North-West Campaign, he was promoted lieutenant in 1886, captain in 1887, major in 1890 before assuming command of the Carabiniers Mont-Royal fifteen years after his enlistment. A model officer, the regiment under his command achieved a high degree of efficiency.

Barely two months after his promotion, Labelle, accompanied by Captain JE Peltier and Major Zépherin Hébert as well as Sergeants Levasseur and Lafleur, Corporal Bourassa and Private Barré, went to London as a member of the Canadian delegation to the ceremonies of the 60th anniversary of the accession of Queen Victoria to the throne of England.

On April 19, 1902, Lieutenant-Colonel François Samuel Mackay replaced Lieutenant-Colonel Labelle at the head of the Regiment. However, Labelle was to take over the reins of the Regiment in 1907 and assume command until 1912, following a petition from the officers of the Regiment demanding his return to command of the unit.

At the beginning of the 20th century, Lieutenant-Colonel Labelle, who as president in civilian life of the St. Lawrence Flour Mills had powerful connections in all sectors of Montreal society and more particularly in the business world, had convinced the great French-Canadian financier Rodolphe Forget to accept, in 1907, to be the first Lieutenant-Colonel in the history of the Regiment.

Regards,

Gordon