News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Policing The Coronation Of HM Queen Elizabeth II on Tuesday 2nd June 1953.

As we approach the day of HM King Charles III Coronation on Saturday 6th May 2023, it may be interesting to look briefly at the policing arrangements which were made just over 70 years ago when the late Queen Elizabeth was Crowned.

I'm fortunate enough to have a carefully preserved copy of Metropolitan Police Operation Order No:-413, which sets out in minute detail the policing arrangements for that day. The order is in A4 book form and consists of 106 pages of closely typed text. It contains 75 subject paragraphs and 6 appendices. The main order was issued on the 18th May 1953 and there was a 9 page addendum issued on the 27th May 1953. Examination of the order shows that it does not give the exact number of Met. officers that were deployed. It would take me several hours of calculations to reach an exact figure. That said, I would estimate that some 12,500 members of the regular Met. force were deployed assisted by the Met. Special Constabulary. In addition, the provincial police forces of England & Wales provided 5,544 (exact figures) men and women as mutual aid on the day.

Unfortunately, the order is far too long for me to reproduce in full here. However, what I have done is to show below the details of the mutual aid which was provided from the provincial forces. The numbers range from the Cardiganshire Constabulary providing a Sergeant and 6 Constables' to the Lancashire Constabulary providing a Chief Superintendent, a Chief Inspector, 11 Inspectors', 22 Sergeants', 225 Constables' and 2 Detectives'.  Getting those mutual aid detachments to London, accommodating them overnight, feeding them, briefing them, transporting them to their dispositions and then arranging their return to their home force areas was a truly mammoth task, all of which is set out in the order. 

Representatives of the police forces of the then British colonies and protectorates did attend, however they did not perform any policing function but marched as a body in the subsequent procession. This included a representative contingent of Scottish police and members of the Royal Ulster Constabulary.

It is interesting that mutual aid was not provided by any of the Scottish police forces nor the RUC. It's possible that there were legal reasons, touching upon jurisdiction which caused their exclusion. That said, the Scottish forces and the RUC did receive an allocation of Coronation medals. 

On the subject of the 1953 Coronation medal. I am fortunate enough to have a complete copy of the medal roll of police recipients. Should any forum member want me to "look up" details on their behalf, please ask and I will be happy to oblige.

Dave.    

Metpol. 1..JPG

Metpol 2..JPG

Metpol. 3..JPG

Metpol. 4..JPG