News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

HA1/c Albert E. Finnegan USNR - KIA Iwo Jima

Thought I would take this one out of the cabinet and show it off - Purple Heart (Posthumous) to HA1/c Albert E. Finnegan who was KIA while serving as a Corpsman with 3/27 5th Marine Division on February 20, 1945. Finnegan was from Stoneham Massachusetts where his father was a Funeral Director. Albert enlisted in 1943 and after Boot Camp and "A" School he volunteered as a Corpsman with the Paramarines however he did not get a chance to be Parachute Trained before the Paramarines and Raiders were disbanded in 1944 and personnel reassigned to the 5th Matine Division. On February 19th (D Day) the 27th had reached the southern tip of Airfield #1 and by mid afternoon the 27th had seized the cliffs overlooking the west side of Iwo Jima. It is unknown if he was wounded on the 19th and died on the 20th or if he was KIA on the 20th.
    I have had this medal in my collection for 30 years and am in the process of re-researching some of my older groups now that there are more research resources available.
    Thank you HA1/c Finnegan it is through your sacrifice and others that we enjoy the freedom that you bought for us.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg