News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgarian Order for Bravery with unusual mark

Dear members on other  forum a question was asked regarding a a mark "F" on Austrian decoration

I was aware that the same mark appeared on the 4th Class 1st Grade on the 1915-1916 Model of the Order for Bravery

It is located on the reverse site of one of the swords

Different possibilities were discussed

I am asking the members to participate with the possible explanation what is the meaning of this mark

001.JPG

004.JPG

I can't confirm the authenticity of this message, I can only list it. 

Some sources claim that the Marked F found on the Bulgarian Order of Courage comes from german manufacturer “Gebruder Friedlander, Berlin”。they were produced during the first world war,For unknown reasons, Bulgaria chose to switch manufacturers before the start of World War II. Maybe it's something about the manufacturer themselves, they got so bad going into the 1930's that they couldn't keep fulfilling orders.

I attach the history of this manufacturer below:https://shop.kusera.de/Gebr-Friedlaender-Juwelier-des-Kaisers

But for me personally, the true meaning of the Marked F is still a cloud of fog. There is no more direct evidence that the manufacturers of these orders of bravery are “Gebruder Friedlander, Berlin”. Maybe the Marked F is just the initials of the master maker or just the inspection mark. 

Looking forward to your reply!

Sincerely

Steve

Hi Steve I am aware about the claim that it is German made, however, like you said there is not convincing enough evidence only statement from a known seller, who I respect.

There is only information about some rare 1915 Soldier Crosses and 1941 Model They were made by the Firm Zimmermann

Because this mark is evident on Austrian made Decorations, i am more inclined to thing that it could be some inspection mark Look the Austrian section The thread is about red Cross Decorations I left some comments

Hi Steve

this is  the site when is claimed that This particular model was made in Germany. As i said, although i highly respect the seller i am not convinced that this particular model was made there.

I read long time ago that it was made in Hungary, however not convincing information came across to support this claim either

regards

fmark.jpg

Greeting Graf !

About the Hungarian manufacture of the Bulgarian Order of Courage I also saw somewhere. But I really can't remember where I saw them. But for now, I think the lion on the Hungarian-made Bulgarian Order of Courage is different than what we need to discuss in this post.

The Bulgarian Order of Courage, manufactured by the Bachruch manufacturer from Budapest, has a distinctive feature. Such as the lion from the front of the order and the factory logo on the pin. For me, I don’t know of any other Hungarian manufacturers involved in the production of the Bulgarian Order of Courage  I will attach a picture below. 

Regarding the Austrian manufacturer you mentioned, I think it is possible. In some post-WW1 versions I also see number markings and the Austrian star marked. Perhaps the delivery of these orders continued until the time of the Austrian Republic. But these are still conjectures, and I haven't found any actual documents to prove these conjectures.

Sincerely

Steve

屏幕截图 2023-05-01 122050.jpg

屏幕截图 2023-05-01 122111.jpg

屏幕截图 2023-05-01 122127.jpg

From own collection, on the back it has the number marked  "1" and a possibly Austrian star marked.

屏幕截图 2023-05-01 123010.jpg

屏幕截图 2023-05-01 123115.jpg

Nice work Steve!

Yes the Hungarian connection is a big mystery

I am exploring the option that "F" mark could be non Austrian maker who was requested by Austrian Firm to make decorations on their behalf