Kandahar group 9th Lancers

Hello Gentleman.

Been quite a busy week this week, managed to pick up this lovely little local group to a Pvt George Shore who lived in Market Deeping (right next to me) off his Grandson. He served in the 9th Lancers throughout the campaign then went home, retired, then joined the reserves.

I'm not a regular member here so I thought I might aswell introduce myself with a few items. ;)

IPB Image

The man himself taking a break from ploughing the fields after the campaign :beer:

IPB Image

It came with his Paybook, full of lovely entries by officers and alike, there can't be many of these around...

IPB Image

And on 9th Lancers' regimental paper, a fitting tribute by his Captain when he retired.

IPB Image

For you Ed... ;)

IPB Image

Thanks, so many of these are unnamed. All the naming seems to have been done regimentally. I can say a good bit about Indian Army, but know nothing about the patterns of naming to natives (of the British Isles).

No problem Ed! I also like the fact that, similar to the VC, these were made from captured guns :blush:

Cheers.

Yes, and issued only because Roberts had all his royal friends bring prettly shameful pressure to overcome the legitimate opposition of the government. Originally, they didn't even want the medal, just two clasps to the IGS 54. But because "Bobs" was "Bobs" and unafraid to use his titled chums to twist arms in the Government of India, the campaign was heavily and doubly medalled (and standards for gallantry awards were lowered as well). It all sounds very contemporary.