News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rhodesian General Service Medal - naming

Gordon Craig

Fellow medal collectors,

I am seeking some information on the naming on the Rhodesian GSM.  Regulations call for; serial number, rank and name.  According to regulations, the Rhodesian GSM  was only to be awarded to white soldiers, police etc. and the Distinguished Service Medal was awarded to coloured servicemen under the same requirements for the award.  There seems to be a variety of serial numbers used which confuses me.  The Rhodesian GSM in my collection has the serial number 730298.  The one on the WIKI article on the Rhodesian GSM is pictured below with a serial number much different than the one in my collection.  The ones I've seen on police medals are the same as the one that I have.  Numerals without any characters in front of or after the numbers.   Can anyone assist me in my search for answers?  

Another question.  Since there seems to be more than one way to issue a number, is it possible identify what unit original owner of the medals served in?  For example Rhodesian Light Infantry, Rhodesian SAS, Rhodesian Rifles, INTAF etc. 

Regards,

Gordon

s-l1600 (95).jpg

s-l1600 (97).jpg

s-l1600 (99).jpg

s-l1600 (100).jpg

Nyere_GSM_Rim.jpg

The medal in wear by the Rhodesian SAS.

6-1-1.jpg

the service medal with the R prefix and the T after the service number is for the rhodesian defence regiment (territorial) the other medal is bsap regular african male serial numbers between 0001-28178 the numbers became longer after computerisation ie 6 digits i had some notes that hugh bomford put together on rhodesian serial numbers you should be able to google his info   

mickey,

Thanks for informative response.  I though that the T might stand for Territorial so thanks for confirming that.  I found Hugh's email address on line and send an email to him.  What can you tell me about the markings on this pair of medals.

Regards,

Gordon

DSC04415.JPG

DSC04418.JPG

DSC04420.JPG

DSC04421.JPG

Mickey,

Not a problem with the name.  It happens from time to time.  According to the Rhodesian Services Association Low's pay records in 1980 show that he was serving with the Air Supply Platoon (Mashonaland).

Thanks again with your help in gaining more knowledge on Rhodesian medals.

Regards,

Gordon