News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Officers ammunition Pouch

Hi

Sorry Help needed again, is this a First World War Army officers ammunition pouch or is it much older being late Victorian?

Thank you so much for any info you may have about this. 😊

IMG_6631.jpeg

IMG_6632.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hi Asil,

W Thomlinson Ltd was a Scottish firm that was established in 1895, its famous for pioneering a style of leather football.

It closed after ww2 , possibly in the 50’s but maybe later.

Bit vague on this 👇 myself... you can find it though if you fancy.

The British army made changes in 1902 or 1903 & again in 1908, one of which introduced a fabric webbing instead of leather.

However officers retained their leather Sam Browne belts but in ww1 they were often discarded because reportedly it made them an obvious officer & target.

I don’t know when pistol cases & the cartridge boxes were dropped as regular dress, i guess before 1939 (1937 saw changes) but they were both still worn on the SB with parade dress until both were made obsolete in 1955.

In summary, 1895 is the earliest it could be and i guess theoretically 1955 is the latest but unlikely as it looks ‘used’...

& After all that you’re still no closer to knowing 🤷‍♂️ but at least you know you can consider Victorian a possibility 🤔

tony 🍻