News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting WW1 German trench find…

During a recent trip to the Western Front, I visited Thiepval memorial. 

I found a piece of glass which, appears to be a shard from a broken beer bottle (not unusual for a German trench I assume?). I could just make out a design on it. 

I have roughly pinned pointed were I was as the red “X” in the middle of the blue circle on the Google map. I believe this to be the area of the German third line support trench called Hohenzollern Street that leads into the Wunderworks, see red “X” in blue circle on trench map.

I have been able to ascertain, that this part of the front was held by the 26th Reserve Division (between 1914-1916).

This division was formed from men recruitedfrom Württemberg. The design on the bottle appears to be the Wurttemberg coat of arms? 

It would be interesting to ascertain whether the division, supplied it’s men with local beer from home? Or someone had brought it up to the line themselves or had it sent to them by loved ones, perhaps?

Not sure whether it’s a coincidence or not.  But out of the 11 breweries listed on the internet that I could find, still in existence in Württemberg only one, the Stuttgarter Hofbräu brewery appears to use the Württemberg coat of arms. Could this bottle have come from there? 

Can anyone, shine any more light on this for me? 

B2B8F642-BD88-4C72-8A06-A57D4E30BA59.jpeg

FA6787E3-79EC-4E2A-A8EE-D6C6955AF625.jpeg

7AE039BC-76C1-4EDC-9EE3-2C47FB1609E4.jpeg

23937449-6275-46E9-BA7B-93DFC237B654.jpeg

6C996526-6013-4390-97B9-1E7301F13E45.jpeg