News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Sacred Treasure Grand Cordon

TracA

I was finally able to add this magnificent Order of the Sacred Treasure Grand Cordon to my collection. The badge has the M mint mark of the Osaka mint, thereby dating this badge from 1930 to 1943. See Medals of Asia at https://asiamedals.info/threads/mark-m-on-japanese-orders-and-medals-who-and-when.14818/. Part of me expected to also find an M mint mark on the breast star, but the star has no marks whatsoever. Note that the lacquered case has a gold border on the lid, which if I am not mistaken puts it at least in the same or similar “age group” as the badge.

Two Questions:

• If the badge has an M mint mark is it common that the breast star not have one? Part of me expected that if the “set” were manufactured at the Japan Mint, then both the badge and breast star would have the M mark if one of them had the M mark. However, I have no evidence upon which to base my expectation.
    • Are there any known time coordinates for cases with the gold border, or a border at all? I know that the Medals of Asia website has a picture of a Grand Cordon case from 1943 with silver kanji and silver border.

It truly is a beautiful set. As usual, my cell phone camera and poor lighting set-up wreak havoc on the colors. 

Tracy

In the case:

OST GC In Case.jpg

Badge obverse:

OST GC Badge Obv.jpg

Badge reverse:

OST GC Badge Rev.jpg

M mint mark up close:

OST GC M Mark.jpg

Breast star obverse:

OST GC Star Obv.jpg

Breast star reverse:

OST GC Star Rev.jpg

The sash. I’m not sure what the official color is, but it looks powder blue to me.

OST GC Sash.jpg

The rosette is the same color as the sash:

OST GC Rosette.jpg

Case lid:

OST GC Case Lid.jpg

Finally, a close-up of the case clasp:

OST GC Clasp.jpg

On 05/09/2023 at 02:55, TracA said:

but the star has no marks whatsoever.

Of course it has M mark ;) 

OSTGCStarRev.jpg.9628f1b1065f35d904a7d663c29c180f.jpg.46a573530a8dfa288392e1ba8dedb243.jpg

Are there any known time coordinates for cases with the gold border, or a border at all?

Most likely this case was manufactured before 1938  https://asiamedals.info/threads/silver-kanji-vs-gold-kanji-lettering-on-the-lids-of-the-japanese-order-cases.26112/ 

But such set could be awarded in 1938/1939/1940.

It truly is a beautiful set.

Yes, indeed.

Best,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

11 hours ago, JapanX said:

Of course it has M mark ;) 

OSTGCStarRev.jpg.9628f1b1065f35d904a7d663c29c180f.jpg.46a573530a8dfa288392e1ba8dedb243.jpg

Most likely case was manufactured before 1938  https://asiamedals.info/threads/silver-kanji-vs-gold-kanji-lettering-on-the-lids-of-the-japanese-order-cases.26112/ 

But such set could be awarded 1938/1939/1940.

Yes, indeed.

Best,

Nick

Nick,

Thank you, as always, for the information.

That M on the breast star us pretty freaky. I've just spent about 15 minutes examining the star with a 25x magnifying glass from all different angles and I cannot for the life of me see the M or even a faint outline of an M. Nonetheless, when I look at your repost of my photo, and when I enlarge my original photo, there the M clearly is. Very strange indeed.

Thanks.

Tracy

1 hour ago, No one said:

Dear TracA,

Very beautiful First class Order of the Sacred Treasure!

image.thumb.jpeg.106c40c9c0ea595d49f7dc620d4bb365.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.beb4e6b99afa0d501a9d44abbbc4d7eb.jpeg

Yours sincerely,

No one

No One,

As always, thank you for the kanji lesson. This is an important part of my learning and my documentation.

Thanks.

Tracy

Hi Nick,

It is the same breast star and I took the photo; the photo was not taken by the seller.

This situation is most bizarre. In the photo we can see an outline of the M but under 25x magnification I cannot find even the hint of an outline when examining the star.

A mystery of sorts.

All the best,

Tracy