News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Philippine Defence Medal

I am seeking information on the Philippine Defence medal as issued to American forces when it was originally authorized in 1945.  What did the attachment on the back of the ribbon look like?  Did it come in a box or a paper envelope? Any information on the medal, as originally issued, would be appreciated.

Regards,

Gordon

Philippine_Defense_Medal.png

• 2 weeks later...

Gordon,

The ribbon was authorized for wear on uniforms for the Liberation Medal, Defense Medal, and Independence Medal to US Forces. The medal itself was not authorized for wear while on active duty but can be worn as a veteran. The medal and ribbon were not issue items to US Forces and if the individual wanted to wear it he/she had to purchase it.

The original medals were designed and manufactured by a Philippine company called El Oro.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for your response.  I had read somewhere that because the original issue was for a ribbon and that the medals was introduced at a later date that only the ribbon was authorized for wear by U S forces.  Thanks for confirming that.  Interesting that you had to purchase your own ribbon.  I have seen these ribbons in wear by those who served during the invasion and those who stayed behind to fight afterwards.  The difference being that those who actually fought during the invasion wore a small bronze star on the ribbon.  Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Gordon

• 1 month later...