News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Meritorious Medal Search ~ George Arnold Crowther

Hello, i was wondering if anyone can help me locate my Great Grandfathers war medal ?

My Great Grandfather George Arnold Crowther had an interesting and eventful time during the First World War, during his time in 1917 he led a party of men into a burning billet and saved 50 charges, had this not have been accomplished the guns and ammunition would of been out of action during the enemies later attack, he spent considerable time in France before he was badly injured, his citation makes an interesting read, fortunately he survived though and had my grandma but somewhere during the last century his medal has gone missing :( 

if anyone knows if its out there i would love to know, i would love to re-unite his photograph and citation with his medal, 

any help very much appreciated.

kind Regards

Richard Wilson

Welcome to the forum Richard.

This bit of the forum is seen by members only and most probably don’t check in here that often.

So it would be worthwhile also posting his details in the British section which can be seen by non members too, that way anyone who may ‘Google’ search his details will be able to see your post now or in the future.

You may for now with a bit of luck get some new information from members with access to the war records.

It sounds like he has a story to be found which may be as deserving of preservation as his medals.
    He would have at least 2 maybe 3 campaign medals as well as any further medals he earned, do you have any of them?

When you share his story over in the British section, I hope you do 👍, it would be a good move to include the citation and photo if possible, the details will be useful. The missing medal(s) will have details on them that you will need to have the best chance of finding them.

- service number

- rank

- G.A. CROWTHER

- unit

Of course, If you like… You’re welcome to reply here before starting all that 👍

cheers

tony 🍻

First name(s)  George Arnold
    Country  Great Britain
    Last name  Crowther
    Medal type  British Army Medal Index Cards, 1914-1920
    Year  1914-20
    Archive reference  WO372/24
    Service number  21007
    Archive reference description  Mentions in Despatches, Meritorious Service Medals and Territorial Force Efficiency Medals
    Rank  Gunner
    Record set  Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards
    Regiment  Royal Field Artillery
    Category  Military, armed forces & conflict
    Service record  Soldier Number: 21007, Rank: Gunner, Corps: Royal Field Artillery
    Subcategory  Medal Rolls and Honours
    Image link  http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D6326940
    Collections from  Great Britain, UK None

• 4 weeks later...