News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dear Sirs,
    I need your advice on Generalmajor Jung commanding the 8 EDI in 1915. If his first name is indeed "Karl", I find him at the 1st Reserve Infanterie Brigade from 17/09/1914. Then to the 31st Reserve Infantry Brigade from 28/12/1914. To the 29th Ersatz Brigade from 06/04/1915 then to the 255 DI from 03/07/1918. The history of IR 364 tells me that our general also commanded the 8 Ersatz DI during 1915.
    My questions are:
    - Is this Generalmajor Karl Heinrich Louis Paul Jung?
    - What was his period of command of the 8 EDI in 1915?
    Here is a photo of our general.
    Thanking you in advance
    with kind regards
    Joel

DIV 8 EDI GALMAJ JUNG.JPEG

Hello Joel,

you have the right officer; that is indeed Karl Heinrich Louis Paul Jung. His command dates for 8. Ersatz-Division are problematical. He is shown in all the references I have as still commanding the 29. Ersatz-Brigade at the time of his death on 19 December 1915, It seems that he may have commanded 8. Ersatz-Division in late 1915.

Regards

Glenn

Hello Glenn,
    Many thanks for this information. I've come to the same conclusions as you. I found traces of our General in the 1st Reserve Infantry Brigade from 17/09/1914. Then to the 31st Reserve Infantry Brigade from 28/12/1914. He took command of the 29th Ersatz Brigade on 06/04/1915 and died on 19/12/1915 at the same post. I do not see how he could have commanded the 8th Ersatz Division during 1915 (although the caption to the photo I have attached indicates otherwise). Unless he only commanded this division in an interim capacity or as a substitute, as "divisionFührer"....
    Thank you again and have a nice day.
    Sincerely
    Joel