News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Korean Medals Roll now online

Dfifer

The Korean government has put their medal roll online, 1948 to present.

It is located at https://www.sanghun.go.kr/nation/participation/sangopen/sangInfoOpen.do

It is entirely in Korean and unfortunately, you cannot access it in English.

You can submit dates (ie. 1951-01-01) and search for all entries from one particular date to another.

There is a maximum of three months for any one search, but you can make multiple searches.

There are two major problems with the database.

1. All awards cited use the current award names, so if you have an Order of Military Merit, 1st Class, it will be listed as a Taeguk Medal.

2. Non-Korean names have been transliterated into Korean, so transliterating the names back into the English is hit or miss, mostly miss.

If anyone is having issues, let me know.

You can contact me through my website, www.Koreanmedals.com.

Enjoy

Don Pfeifer

Hello Don

Looks great..........but........it looks as if it is possible to search for all "New Zealand" recipients - but only in 3-month time periods. Have I got it right? It would be great to get ALL NZ recipients with just one search.

Regards

Graeme

You are correct, it can only be searched in 3 month increments.

During the war, Korea issued about 20,000+ military awards per year.

But in 1954, the first full year after the armistice, Korea issued 70,000+.

So Korean War medals can be anywhere from 1950 to 1954.

In 1955, Korean Orders of Military Merit dropped to 8,000.

One American Medal of Honor winner, who was killed during the war, did not get his Korean Award until 1954.

I tried searching for the Korean term for New Zealand 뉴질랜드, but nothing came up.

If and when I can find some time, I will try to figure out how they are listed.

If you can provide one or more award dates, it would help to figure it out.

Don

Hello

If you are referring to the Order of Military Merit...I don't think NZ received any awards of this decoration...though a more knowledgeable collector/researcher might be better informed.

Cheers

Jim