News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Danish miniature group

Recently acquired this miniature grouping with an interesting combination. Mounted in Danish style, it's a relatively unusual combination with an Order of the Dannebrog knight's cross (Frederik IX), Danish Red Cross Service Medal 2. class (1963-), St. Olavs Orden, Order of the Falcon (Iceland) and the Thai Order of the Crown of Thailand.

I found one name more interesting than others when looking through the Danish state calenders, one Frederik Albert Madsen (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederik_Albert_Madsen). I'm not sure if it's a perfect fit, but it's certainly the best so far.

If any of you have an opinion on this particular name or any other insight regarding this group, feel free to add something.

unnamed.thumb.jpg.3c3a2344f1657db74655ac39fd16aab7.jpg

3e7554b00eb50ce838c2a0b55d3bcc75.png.5b0bb40bdb034b87c6286f2699548b3c.png

52e806e2e6715f03a096f1e61c57da4a.thumb.png.e98393749c4ce6515c88f372e4ae2f35.png

Nice one! Congratulations.

I don't think Madsen is your man... provided that this is the only (and final) bar, which it normally is unless you're royalty.

Madsen ended up with Dannebrog Commander, St.Olav Commander and Siam Crown Order Commander.

I had a look through the calendars, but have not (yet) been able to find any match.

26 minutes ago, Great Dane said:

Nice one! Congratulations.

I don't think Madsen is your man... provided that this is the only (and final) bar, which it normally is unless you're royalty.

Madsen ended up with Dannebrog Commander, St.Olav Commander and Siam Crown Order Commander.

I had a look through the calendars, but have not (yet) been able to find any match.

Thanks!

My initial thought as well, I'll just have to keep trying. Maybe in the future an ID will be possible.

I think I have a name for you: Olaf Thorkild Kann (1893-1975)

His awards were:

- Denmark, Dannebrog (Knight 1. class) 17/7 1961 - i.e. Frederik IX version

- Norway, St.Olav (Knight 1. class) - I believe this class has the insignia in gold/gilt but no rosette?

- Iceland, Falcon (Knight) 1/4 1954

- Thailand, Crown (Officer)

He does not include his Thai and Red Cross awards in any of the calendar listings, but his That Crown order is listed in a biographical volume from 1965 and - in the same volume - it mentions he was chairman of the Danish Red Cross Roskilde branch from 1956 (which would certainly result in a Red Cross award).

Wow, that's certainly the best candidate yet. Here is a photo of him (not sure what year) wearing what seems to be all of them except the Red Cross one. So presumably, if it is him (which seems likely), this photo is from before 1963. 

image.jpeg.a8125323772e436f336d8363454e6716.jpeg

82dee2b12279aaef926f5efc7556c83d.png.b011892357837ea88106e53fef2d0ba3.png

3a70c1b0ca6f50c9c4b8cb7d577693a6.thumb.jpg.08d6d3cbf1c3b651da43679e8262f232.jpg

Him (to the right) on a royal visit to Hjørring in 1951

I double-checked the "Kraks Blaa Bog" 1972 (the Danish version of Who's Who).

It mentions he was awarded "Danish Red Cross' Merit Medal* (probably when he retired as a Red Cross chairman in 1970).

The book doesn't always get the award names right, so I assume it is the one on the bar.

I also checked Hieronymussen's book "European Orders" from 1966.

The plate showing the St. Olav decorations shows both the Knight grade and the Knight 1. class without rosettes (Knight in silver, Knight 1. class in gilt).

The rosette on the ribbon for a Knight 1. class must have been introduced at some point after 1966.

Edited by Great Dane

20 hours ago, Great Dane said:

I double-checked the "Kraks Blaa Bog" 1972 (the Danish version of Who's Who).

It mentions he was awarded "Danish Red Cross' Merit Medal* (probably when he retired as a Red Cross chairman in 1970).

The book doesn't always get the award names right, so I assume it is the one on the bar.

I also checked Hieronymussen's book "European Orders" from 1966.

The plate showing the St. Olav decorations shows both the Knight grade and the Knight 1. class without rosettes (Knight in silver, Knight 1. class in gilt).

The rosette on the ribbon for a Knight 1. class must have been introduced at some point after 1966.

Outstanding! I think it must be the Dansk Røde Kors' fortjensttegn as it replaced the previous Red Cross medal after 1963. 

Yes, I'm pretty sure that is your man.

He received the Dannebrog Knight on 23/5 1947 and that is the one he is wearing on the photo from Hjørring.

The Knight class was divided in two in 1953, but he didn't get 'upgraded' to 1. class until 1961 as previously listed.

He must have received the St. Olav order approx. 1958 as it first appears in the calendar list in 1959.

Well, I won't take more fun out of your research. Let me know if you need a photo of his entries in the biography volume or the Blaa Bog.

King Olav of Norway went to his first official state visit abroad to Denmark, 11th-13th September 1958. Chief of police O. Kann was made knight 1st class of the order of St. Olav in 1958. I  would think there is a connection.

Also, no full size Norwegian decorations or orders use the kind of rosette seen on the Dannebrog here. Rosettes are only used on ribbon sets and miniatures, but mostly optional it seems.