News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

LIR 118 had three mobile battalions and one Ersatz battalion. In October 1918, due to losses, a company from each battalion was dissolved, and the regiment as a whole was dissolved in December 1918. The Ersatz battalion was also dissolved in December 1918, shortly before the regiment as a whole. The Abwicklungsstelle of the active IR 118 supervised the demobilization.

22 hours ago, Glenn J said:

Hi Bernd,

I just meant that one would not automatically assume a man from Kiel would be an officer in a Hessian regiment. I have been “collecting” first names of Prussian officers for 25 years. He is in my records as such.

Regards

Glenn

It's especially annoying to me when a group of officers from one place are commissioned and sent to a regiment with which they had no prior connection, since it messes with whatever logic we hope to apply when doing our research. I was just going through a group of officers commissioned into IR 75, almost all with a Bremen Kontrollbezirk, who all ended up in Silesian regiments (GR 10, IR 23, FR 38 and IR 62).

Edited by Dave Danner

Hi Bernd!

In "Die Hessen im Weltkrieg" you´ll find some battle reports of the regiment on 12 pages.

The other book I mentioned is the regimental history, but it has only 188 pages, The Ers.Btl. is not mentioned.

The Ers.Btl. was not at the front. It was formed August 8, 1914, probably through Inf.Leib-Rgt.117.

First it was in Mainz, since October 1914 in Bierstadt (near Wiesbaden), since March 1915 in Sonnenberg (near Wiesbaden), since September 1915 in Lampertheim, since December 1917 on the military training ground in Darmstadt.

Since December 1918 it was located in Auerbach, where it was dissolved December 1918.

Unfortunately I couldn´t find the name of the commander of the Ers.Btl.

Hello Andy

Thanks for your help/the Information.

I was not aware of a real regimental history. Could you please provide the name and author?

Do you know what is sold on the page you linked? The full real regimental history you quoted?

Kind regrets and thanks.

Edited by Bernd_W

Hello Bernd!

The book is called: "Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr.118" by Dr. Johannes Ledroit. No publisher, no year...

The page I linked is from a friend  of mine. He sells a lot of regimental histories on pdf. Very good quality with all photos and maps

Hello Andy

Thanks for your help/the Information.

Therefore, I was wrong, it's the book which is party quoted here:

https://www.lagis-hessen.de/de/subjects/browse/sourceId/43/sn/qhg

Here are also some parts of the "Rückmarsch":

https://www.lagis-hessen.de/de/subjects/browse/sourceId/45/sn/qhg

Kind regrets

Edited by Bernd_W

Hello Andy

Yes, for sure. Only parts of the book are published there. Covering the "Ausmarsch" und  "Rückmarsch" only.

But it seems to be a very rare book, tried to find it with google, most other regimental history can be found in some antiquarian online, but nothing for this book.

So its nice your friend sells it online as pdf.

Kind regrets

Hi Bernd!

That's right. I know him very well. We often meet at our military Meetings here in the West of Germany. If you look for something he has not on his site, you can write him. Maybe he has it in his collection and it's not yet digitalized.

Edited by The Prussian