News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown class of the Slovakian Order of the War Victory Cross - Help needed

Hello,

I hope there are some experts on Slovakian WW2 orders here, because I have some questions regarding the Slovakian Order of the War Victory Cross awarded to German Vizeadmiral Leopold Bürkner.

The only source that proves he was awarded this order is a photo where he is wearing his ribbon bar.

The 9th ribbon in the first row is the Slovakian Order of the War Victory Cross (see the 1st photo below).

I don't know when he was awarded this order. But, I can tell you his rank at the time was almost certainly Kapitän zur See (Captain). I don't think he was already a Konteradmiral (Rear Admiral) when he received it.

Now the questions:

1. Is it possible to determine the exact class of this order from a ribbon in a black & white photograph?

2. According to the information I found (see the 2nd photo below), there were several types (four?) of ribbons for this order, is that correct? What were the differences between all these types of ribbons?

3. Which type of ribbon is Bürkner wearing? The red ribbon with the two yellow stripes in the middle or some other type?

4. Regarding the possible classes he was awarded:

It surely can't be the Grand Cross or the 1st class, because these were too high classes for an officer of his rank.

The 2nd class was a neck decoration. Equivalent to a Commander's Cross perhaps?

The 3rd class was a badge decoration worn on the chest. Equivalent to an Officer's Cross perhaps?

The 4th class was a cross worn alongside other medals on the chest.

So, if we keep in mind his rank at the time (Captain), what is the most likely class he was awarded?

5. Regarding the 3rd class of this order. Since it was a badge award, is it wrong to presume it was always worn on the chest and therefore there was no ribbon replacement for this specific class? I believe this is proved by the table in the 2nd photo below where only the ribbons for the 1st, 2nd and 4th class can be seen. Is this correct?

I also posted the photos of the 2nd class ribbon and neck decoration and the photo of the 3rd class badge decoration.

Many thanks for any help!

Vizeadmiral Leopold Bürkner 2.jpg

Bez naslova2.jpg

War_Victory_Cross_2nd_class_ribbon_bar_(Slovakia)_-_Tallinn_Museum_of_Orders.jpg

War_Victory_Cross_2nd_class_badge_(Slovakia_1943)_-_Tallinn_Museum_of_Orders.jpg

War_Victory_Cross_3rd_class_with_swords_badge_(Slovakia_1942-1945)_-_Tallinn_Museum_of_Orders.jpg