News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

AFC - Air Force Cross

ilclifton,

Sorry that no one was able to answer your question.  I do not own one of these awards so was unable to comment.  Even if I did, I would hesitate to comment on pictures as authentic or not.  Owning one cross would not make me an authority.  I rarely comment on pictures of awards that I am very familiar with for pictures do not tell you all you need to know about a medal or an award.  I hope that your cross turns out to be authentic.

Regards,

Gordon

On 19/02/2024 at 14:24, Gordon Craig said:

ilclifton,

Sorry that no one was able to answer your question.  I do not own one of these awards so was unable to comment.  Even if I did, I would hesitate to comment on pictures as authentic or not.  Owning one cross would not make me an authority.  I rarely comment on pictures of awards that I am very familiar with for pictures do not tell you all you need to know about a medal or an award.  I hope that your cross turns out to be authentic.

Regards,

Gordon

Thanks Gordon.  I understand what you said an why I didn't get any reply. Thank you.

• 5 months later...

Liverpoool medals recently offered a Royal Air Force Cross in its original case in their most recent catalog (https://www.liverpoolmedals.com/product/afc-airforce-cross-gv-ww1?mc_cid=10e30d2511&mc_eid=eb61970ca6). They provide good photos that can be zoomed for more details. This medal is still available. 

J8953F.thumb.jpg.e09982dcbed3ec68d48a8e20308a6b59.jpg

J8953B.thumb.jpg.d853cc1be015c63e69596de5bce9482d.jpg

J8953A1.thumb.jpg.0ed1b013e5bc26f7499988d924772d12.jpg

The descriptive text reads: "Airforce Cross, A.F.C. GV Issue, circa World War 1, in the original chunky fitted leather John Pinches case of issue. 

Mounted for wear on ribbon pin. Good preserved example. 

Very rare issue, as the Airforce Cross was only instituted late into the war following the formation of the Royal Air Force in mid 1918, it was only issued 679 times with 2 second award bars between 1918 and 1919. With only a further 111 being issued from 1920-1937 with 10 second award bars and 3 third awards.

Edited by Rusty Greaves

• 1 month later...