News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese quiz: "What's wrong with this picture?"

No one

Hello No One,

Off the cuff: the Great East Asia War did not occur during the Taisho Era. It occurred during the Showa Era. Also, I don't think the order of wear precedence mentioned the Great East Asia War (fourth ribbon from the top left), so I don't know where that would fit on the ribbon bar.

Wasn't that medal a unofficial commemorative medal struck well after the war was over?

Tracy

Dear TracA,

Yes, you are right. This bar should be identified as Showa Era, and the 4th ribbon is for the unofficial commemorative medal.

Of the "China Incident War Medal" and "Great East Asia War" only one could be awarded.

Yours sincerely,

No one

No One,

At very first glance I thought that the Order of the Rising Sun should be before the Sacred Treasure, but after refreshing myself of such thing's on JapanX's Medals of Asia website, I was reminded of the rule that if the Rising Sun and Sacred Treasure were of different ranks, then the highest rank is worn first.

Excellent point about the China Incident and Great East Asia War medals. 

All the best,

Tracy

Dear TracA,

"if the Rising Sun and Sacred Treasure were of different ranks, then the highest rank is worn first."

It's not uncommon for the Order of the Sacred Treasure to take precedence over the Order of the Rising Sun.

Yours sincerely,

No one

On 15/03/2024 at 02:33, No one said:

Of the "China Incident War Medal" and "Great East Asia War" only one could be awarded.

Perfectly possible combination for a post-war veteran medal bar/ribbon bar.

image.jpeg.788005c3b2f9dcbb4288c3fbfbd31f0d.jpeg

Another example (from my personal collection).

image.jpeg.132fb0ac5ee0a1adc0886aecec066793.jpeg

Nick,

Nice. Would these be examples that would fit on your "Rules on the Wearing of Japanese Imperial Awards and Their Violators" page?

Tracy

Indeed a perfect fit. This veteran obviously didn`t care much about any rules ) 

Manchukuo National Foundation Merit Medal stands before all Japanese medals.