News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austria - Czech Noble Cross 1814

On 09/05/2024 at 19:48, bilylev said:

Hello guys,

this cross is offered in nexcoming auction. May I know your opinion?

Jan

512c.jpg

512a.jpg

I’m not familiar with these but to me the Lion/Griffin? does not look right. In it’s own right it looks odd and then when compared to the few other examples I can find it is not the same.

Unless there are different classes, I believe there are/were very few of these and people keep track of them, they are unlikely to pop up in an auction without it attracting attention.

Does the seller offer any background information, history or even a name to go with this? 

tony 🍻

Well, one has to be very careful when it comes to very rare things. This cross has a starting price of EUR 70,000. The auction house presents an expert opinion confirming authenticity. But no information about the origin. A total of 38 crosses were awarded and a total of 9 surviving pieces are known. As for minor changes in the design, we must not forget that the cross was made by hand, i.e.  hand-painted Czech lion. I personally would be afraid to buy it.

On 13/05/2024 at 10:04, bilylev said:

Well, one has to be very careful when it comes to very rare things. This cross has a starting price of EUR 70,000. The auction house presents an expert opinion confirming authenticity. But no information about the origin. A total of 38 crosses were awarded and a total of 9 surviving pieces are known. As for minor changes in the design, we must not forget that the cross was made by hand, i.e.  hand-painted Czech lion. I personally would be afraid to buy it.

38 is what I read, I didn’t mention it because it seemed unlikely but when you mention the 70,000 price tag it tallies. 

The design looks more like a bear than a lion 🤷‍♂️ if I had to sign off that jewellers work I would have reservations!

However, if an expert puts his name to it, despite the look of it, I would imagine he (she?) knows more than they are telling us about its history…

As you say, I would be Afraid to buy it, can you imagine coming on here and saying “look what I just got for 70 grand Gents”.

Only other thing I can think of because, as you say, it was was hand made… so perhaps a reject an apprentice took home. 
    The auctioneers must know more 👍

tony 🍻