News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sorting out some annoyingly faded questions on a ribbon bar.

Of course, the stuff that's least faded are the easiest to identify...  

#4 - Appears to be a solid light blue similar to a Württemberg Friedrichs Order or the Prussian Crown Order, but with a crown device?

#5 - Appears to be a white ribbon with thin yellow stripes at the edges, and a thicker yellow stripe down the middle.  With the fading and the folds, it's harder to get a fix on the apparent middle stripe.  The edge stripes are more certain.

#6 - I can't figure out what this might be, given where it is on the bar.

#7 & #8 - Closest match would be the Bulgarian bravery medals, but I can't find any surviving trace of the typical blue.  I can't think of anything else that has stripes like that.

IMG_4157.JPG

IMG_4156.JPG

Lovely ribbon bar. No. 4 likely Prussian Crown Order/Medal.

No. 6 looks like the ribbon for the Württemberg Military Merit Medal, but I would not expect to see it mounted after the 1934 Honour Cross. 

On 16/05/2024 at 10:35, P.F. said:

Lovely ribbon bar. No. 4 likely Prussian Crown Order/Medal.

No. 6 looks like the ribbon for the Württemberg Military Merit Medal, but I would not expect to see it mounted after the 1934 Honour Cross. 

I don't know why I didn't catch it right off the bat, but #5 might be a really washed out Saxon Friedrich-August Medal. 

10 hours ago, Stogieman said:

Good Morning! I don’t think that’s a FAM ribbon, makes no sense to me that a Saxon enlisted award would be on this bar?

I've been struggling to find anything that matched, even if it didn't make a ton of sense.  With that one, I was trying to figure out if it made sense with #4 being the medal version of the Prussian Crown Order, #5 being the FAM, and #6 being the Württemberg Military Merit Medal.   With that scenario, I'm also left wondering how probable that there's no long service decoration.

(I'm still trying to wrap by brain around the precedence either way.)

I still think No. 5 being the Prussian Lifesaving Medal would make more sense, given its precedence.

Are the last 2 ribbons white with blue stripes, or what is the configuration here? They look identical from the photo, just one has swords. 

9 hours ago, P.F. said:

Could No. 5 be the Prussian Lifesaving Medal? 

It certainly seems like a good match physically, and it makes more sense than anything else so far,

5 minutes ago, P.F. said:

Are the last 2 ribbons white with blue stripes, or what is the configuration here? They look identical from the photo, just one has swords. 

They look like the blue and silver/gray ribbons that accompany some of the Bulgarian bravery decorations, but the blue is faded to (or has been replaced with) a dingy white.  The peculiar stripes are the same style.

Posted (edited)

Regarding the Bulgarian ribbon- in hand, can you see the little silver flecks in the ribbon?

Another option, Serbian Order of St. Sava? 

sava.jpg

Edited by P.F.

16 minutes ago, P.F. said:

Regarding the Bulgarian ribbon- in hand, can you see the little silver flecks in the ribbon?

Ignore the color shift in this pic, the original pic is a better representation in that regard.  The stripes have that same sort of texture,

IMG_2746.JPG

9 hours ago, P.F. said:

Bavaria Red Cross Medal?

It looks the part, but I'm not sure if doubles of that Red Cross decoration would be possible.  Also, the swords seem problematic for that sort of award.

I suspect it's something like this:

medal-bar-with-9-medals-from-pre-ww1-period-till-ww2--87380.jpg